Breast implants have massive weight loss

How do I decide what size implants to get after losing 120#. I know I want gel and my surgeon says he prefers inserting them under the muscle versus over. Does that affect how noticeable they are as far as size? I use to be 42DD/42E and now Im maybe a 36C. I placed one of my old bras on and my boobs dont even fill the bottom half of the cup. I miss them more than I thought I would. The 250, 275, and 300 dont seem to make a difference when trying them on but I fear the 400 might be to big.

Breast implants have massive weight loss.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Not having any pictures makes it necessary to speak in generalities. First of all, the suggestion of gel implants under the muscle is a good idea.  Secondly, you will undoubtedly need a lift to remove extra skin and reshape the breast.  Thirdly, you and your surgeon together will have to determine the size which will work best for you.  When you have had weight gain and then loss, the skin has been damaged and cannot as easily support the weight of the implant. It is better to back down a little on the size in order to be able to maintain the shape post operatively. The trick is to fill out the breast without having the implant so heavy that it drags the breast back down. 

Breast augmentation after large weight loss

I do  not see any photos of your breasts but I would suspect that after a large weight loss, you will need a full lift along with your implant. In that case, you are better off going under the muscle than over for multiple reasons including to increase the amount of blood supply to the breast tissue and nipple.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

120 pound weight loss and desiring BA or BA with lift

Usually after 100 + pound weight loss, you should consider a lift in addition to the breast aug. This is an important differentiation as if you do need a lift, the breast implant chosen is predicated on amount of breast tissue that needs to be removed.

Arian Mowlavi, MD, FACS

Breast implants

Really need photos to advise you.  If you have lost that much weight, congratulations!  But I find it hard to believe that you don't need a lift as well as implants.  Just something to consider as you proceed.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Congratulations on your successful weight loss!  Despite good intentions of online plastic surgeon consultants and your good description of body type, online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. 

My best advice: more communication.

It is definitely worth spending more time (prior to the date of surgery) with your plastic surgeon to discuss further.  As you know, it will be important for many reasons, that you feel comfortable that you and your plastic surgeon are on the "same page" prior to proceeding.

Ultimately, careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, 

I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” or "get my boobs back" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to  patients who have experienced significant weight loss) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Breast implant size

This is easy.  Our patients decide upon implants the same way women decide what shoes, what jeans, and what dresses to buy;  By trying them on in the mirror.  When you have the right ones, you'll know.  Easy.

Steve Laverson, MD