Is it better to get breast implants after having children?

Do breasts with implants sag after having children even if you don't breast feed?

The choice is yours

Hello and thank you for your question. Overall, this is a personal decision. If you are worried about the ability to be able to breastfeed after breast augmentation, the fact is that the studies suggest that breast augmentation does not affect ability to breastfeed. I have many women who are perfectionists and want to achieve the best version of themselves that is possible. If you fall into that category, you should get your breast augmentation now while your are young. No one can predict what will happen to your body after pregnancy, regardless of whether or not you have implants. Some women have a hard time getting back to their pre-pregnancy form. However, if you are happy with the wayyou look now, don't get a breast augmentation as a preventative measure. The reality is that after pregnancy, there is a chance that you may wish cosmetic enhancement of your breasts with either implants alone, a lift, or a combination of the two, so the more fiscally conservative will say to wait until after pregnancy to get it done, but the con of that strategy is that even after surgery, you might never look as good as you might have pre-pregnancy and you only live once. =) 

I hope this helps and make sure to seek the expertise of a board certified plastic surgeon.

Sincerely,

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Child bearing and wanting breast surgery

I would wait until you have completed all of your pregnancies until you have your breast surgery; even if don't breast feed, you breasts will change throughout your pregnancies.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

I don't think that a single simple answer exists to that question since breast skin and glandular tissue stretch, thin and often sag after a pregnancy.  When I see an "aug" patient who has had children, I know that the potential for a larger implant is greater if that is their goal.  Tighter more elastic skin before pregnancy resists larger implants for those seeking a more dramatic size.

I tell my patients that if they're definitely planning a pregnancy within 12-18 months put off surgery but if one is less certain, proceed if it is something that you desire and would enhance your life.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Implants and Pregnancy

The effect of pregnancy on the appearance of the breasts is unpredictable and varies from patient to patient. It is important to understand that if a choice to have breast implants is made prior to completing any plans for future children, additional surgery may be required to address changes that may result from those pregnancies.

Bryan G. Forley, MD

If you are planning to have children in the near future, you may want to consider waiting before undergoing breast augmentation surgery. Some breast augmentation patients do need revision surgery after having kids regardless of breast feeding. You'll have to decide what will be the best option and situation for you. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes. Dr. Gregory Park, San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Gregory Park, MD

Do breasts with implants sag after having children

Breast implants are just breast implants, not breasts. They do not change with pregnancy but your breasts probably will. Nevertheless many young women get implants before having children with the knowledge they may need more done surgically at a later date. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast implants and pregnancy

If you plan on having children in the next few years it makes sense to wait for implants.  Otherwise you can get implants before pregnancy.  Some women sag after breast feeding and some do not. It is impossible to predict from one woman to the next.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Is it better to get breast implants after having children

Hi and thanks for your questions. Some of my patients who undergo breast augmentation before having children return after completing their families and may benefit from a breast lift even if they haven't breast fed. Other patients don't need further breast surgery after pregnancy so it's variable and somewhat unpredictable. Visit with a very experienced board certified plastic surgeon in your community for a consultation and recommendations. Best of luck!

Richard Chaffoo,MD,FACS,FICS

Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

If you plan to have children in the next 2-3 years I usually recommend that she wait until after having children to have breast augmentation.  The reason is that pregnancy can result in significant changes to the breast, most important sagging after pregnancy, which can adversely affect the results of your breast augmentation.  If you do choose to have breast implants before having children, it is important at the implant be placed beneath the chest muscle.

There is no perfect answer to when to have a breast augmentation. It is a very individual decision. If you are planning to have children in the immediate future, then it would be best to wait. Whether breasts will dropp after pregnancy depends on multiple factors, including weight gain/loss, anatomy, and genetics, not just breast feeding.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. 

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon