Breast Implant Sizers: Bigger, Smaller, or accurate to the final product when placed under the muscle? (photos)

I've gotten my first consult (going for a second just to be 100% complete in my research), and the PS said 330cc is the absolute max (if that), that he would put into my small frame. My stats: 5'9, 95lbs, size 32 A/B. Going for silcone, under the muscle. Are the sizers usually smaller, bigger, or accurate to the final outcome? What differences from sizer to final product can I expect?

Size of breast implant

it is very difficult to determine what implant size is best for you without a complete examination. There are various styles of implants which should be considered in making the determination.

Breast Implant sizers

The implant is best chosen with the BWD of your breast in mind. If you put a sizer in your bra you will usually appear smaller after the surgery.  When you say 330 is that a midrange or high profile. 

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant volume

There are a variety of measurements that are required to determine how many cc's your chest can accommodate. Can't say if 330cc is the correct or maximum amount without an examination. You may need two different implants as it appears you have some size asymmetry. In thin patients such as yourself, it's usually better to use a smaller implant to avoid rippling (which can still occur with silicone implants under the muscle). It's a good idea to go on a second and maybe a third consultation to become more educated.

William Bruno, MD

Breast Implant Sizing

Your priority should be on anatomic capacity, as this determines what's physically possible without undue risk of complications. This is NOT determined by your height, weight, or bra size. This is determined by knowledgable plastic surgeons interested in tissue based planning to prevent complications and reoperation. A few measurements of your breast and chest will make this determination.

Your aesthetic goals, although important, should not trump tissue based planning limits. To determine your aesthetic goals, sizing should be done by your surgeon, who will determine any possible adjustment necessary. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons expert in breast surgery.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Breast implant size

Based on your extremely petite size I would not recommend going any bigger then 330cc.  I would even recommend smaller to be in proportion to your body type.  Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Breast Implant Sizers: Bigger, Smaller, or accurate to the final product when placed under the muscle?

Thank you for the question and picture. Based on your photograph, I think that you are starting a good place and should have a very nice outcome with a well executed breast augmentation procedure.

Although useful as rough guidelines and as communication tools, all the modalities currently used to predict what breast implant size/profile will best achieve a patient's goals with breast augmentation are NOT very accurate, in my opinion. The use of the rice test, sizers placed beneath a patient's bra, goal pictures, computer imaging technology… are all useful, but not necessarily as accurate as one would hope.
In my opinion, nothing will replace careful verbal preoperative communication with your plastic surgeon, preferably in front of a full-length mirror along with the use of as many "communication" tools” listed above.
In my practice, I use all of the above modalities and then use intraoperative temporary sizers to help determine the best breast implant size/profile to achieve a patient's specific goals as closely as possible. For this reason, I think it is helpful to have the entire range of breast implant sizes/profiles available in the upper room.
Achieving realistic expectations prior to proceeding to the operating room is also an important part of the preoperative communication process. Patients should be aware that the results of their breast augmentation will not necessarily match exactly what they are visualizing with anyone of the above-mentioned communication tools.
In my opinion, it is not possible to accurately determine how many ccs (if any) a patient would “lose” when undergoing sub muscular breast augmentation surgery. I suggest patients do not make decisions based on statement such as: “you will lose 25 or 50 cc of volume when breast implants are placed under the muscle”. These statements are simply not reliable enough…

Again, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural look” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Accuracy of breast implant sizers

I love the Mentor sizers.  I think they help the patient compare a range of possible outcomes.  But the sizers have serious limitations.  
First, the sizers are only one width.  They don't account for the variety of shapes available within the same size and the variance in projection.
Second, the sizers are less full at the top and in patients who have very little breast tissue the sizers don't show the superior pole fullness such a patient would have from an augmentation.
Third, in some patients the sizers are relatively accurate in others they are not as clsoe to actual size.

In my practice, the best role of sizers is to allow patients to see the possible shape of an augmentation and then compare the shape amongst different sizers.  I use this information to guide me in choosing the ultimate size in the operating room.  I discourage the fixation on a "cc" number because it ties my hands if that number looks incorrect "on the table".  

Samuel Beran, MD

Breast Implant Sizers

Thank you for your question and photos. I have my patients use the Mentor sizers when trying to determine the look they desire. I have found them to be fairly accurate. A lot of it has to do with the width of your chest and the look you are going for. It is always a good idea to have a few consults with board certified plastic surgeons to help you make this important decision. Best of luck, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon