Could my right breast implant be moving or is it part of the settling process?

9 weeks ago I had breast Augmentation. I was a small 34A and received 330cc tear drop Cohensive gel implants. I understand that each implant settles at its own pace but my right implant seems to have squared off a bit and is more toward my armpit. My left breast is great. Is this normal?

As breast implants settle, they can look different.

At 9 weeks after breast augmentation, your breast augmentation results are still in the process of developing. As you note, breast implants can drop at different speeds, which is likely why your right breast implant looks — and may feel — different than the left one. Keep checking your results for the next several weeks. It can take up to 6 months for breast implants to completely settle into their final position. If you’re concerned about the appearance of your right breast implant after 6 months, you may want to schedule a follow-up appointment with your plastic surgeon.

Post op breast augmentation

it is difficult to answer your question without pre and post photos as well as a physical examination. Realize that you are early in your recovery and changes can be expected with time. Always consult your plastic surgeon.

Susan Kaweski, MD

Thank you for the question. It is difficult to answer your question without examining you. However, from your description it appears that the implant may have rotated as you stated it is a tear drop. I would recommend to discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

9 Weeks Post Op Concern

Thank you for your question. Typically the breasts do not become more "squared" looking as they settle. If you have noticed a concerning change I recommend that you see your Plastic Surgeon in person for assessment to ensure that you don't have an issue.
All the best

Thank you for your question. Hard to say exactly what is going on; your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward may assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants). The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized.  Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

As breast implants "settle", they tend to round out the lower breast poles. As this occurs, the nipple/areola complexes seem higher on each breast mound. Again, best to follow your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Movment of implant at 9 weeks

Hi tiffheck,

Of course this is an opinion based upon what you have described and ideally I would need to assess you in person. It sounds like your right implant may have rotated within its pocket with the apex of the implant now turned and pointing towards the armpit. This may also explain the impression you have that the breast has squared off a little. I suggest you consult your surgeon in person to seek their opinion and assessment post surgery. Have you been reviewed in their clinic?

Jonathan Adamthwaite FRCS

Jonathan Adamthwaite, FRCS (Plast)
Liverpool Plastic Surgeon