Can/Should asymmetry be fixed? (photos)

I have bilateral 700cc mod plus round implants, 3 yrs post op, no capsular contracture. The left side is noticeably fuller and lower to me. I would really like this fixed, however, I am afraid to make things worse or that I still may not like the result after another surgery...In your professional opinion, do you think that this is something that is worth fixing and if so how would this be fixed? Do you feel that it is possible for me to have a better result with revision surgery? Thank you.

Should Asymmetry be Fixed?

Your pre-op photo shows that your left breast was slightly more full, so this accounts for some of the asymmetry that you see. In your after photos it looks like your right implant is higher relative to your nipple position and this accounts for much of your visible asymmetry. It is possible to surgically lower your right implant, but as you point out, there are always some risks that go along with surgical intervention. It will really come down to you deciding whether the asymmetry bothers you enough to want to incur the risks of any surgical revision.

Breast revision

Those are good points you bring up. Can it be made better and what are the risks of it getting worse.  And what are the costs involved.   To me your asymmetry is not worth going through surgery again.  Breast implant patients often require surgery revisions throughout their lives.  I would only revise if the asymmetry is really bad or if you have some other problem develop.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Are your upper poles level?

If so, a revision is not really needed.  If you want improved symmetry of volume, fat grafting could be done to the deficient size to help with improving symmetry.  If breasts are soft as you say they are, would avoid going back into the pocket for fear of producing an environment where contractures can develop.  So it really comes down to how much does it bother you?  If not much, don't do anything excessive or risky.  If a lot, then consider major revisions understanding that there is always the risk for over-correction.

Curtis Wong, MD

Implant asymmetry fix

I'm personally for fixing this. In your case the right side needs a slight capsulotomy, its releasing the pocket so that the implant sits lower. These are pretty painless and easy surgeries. 

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry

Before you jump into surgery, I would consider an imaging study to determine why the asymmetry exists; perhaps you have a small seroma that needs drainage?

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Can/Should asymmetry be fixed?

Breasts are naturally asymmetric in 85% of women however placing 700 cc implants in you was imo very aggressive and fraught with risks.  Lowering and expanding the lower pole of your higher breast will improve but not perfect asymmetry and only you can decide whether the procedure and the changes are important enough to warrant proceeding.  Discuss options and risks with a ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon to help in making your decision.

Please also watch the video above about the use of very large breast implants.  

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Should asymmetry be corrected

Thank you for your question and photos.  You do have some asymmetry that can be corrected surgically.  An in person consultation will be best to go over options.  Make sure you see Board Certified Plastic Surgeons who perform a lot of revision breast surgeries.  Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Breast Asymmetry

You will need to be examined by an ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon that specializes in revision breast surgery to determine how to help you.  As an aside, and for the benefit of others contemplating breast augmentation, your photos indicate a very common deformity associated with periareolar incisions, the tethered scar.  This is causing a depression in the lower areola, and a flatting of the breast mound in that location. Please avoid periareolar incisions, they put you at highest risk for capsular contracture and other scar associated deformities. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

You definitely have some asymmetry and it can be fixed, but unless it bothers you to a significant degree there is no reason otherwise to correct it. Your implants are much too big for your breast support system and if you have more surgery it would be important to understand how important downsizing to a proper fit will be. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for your question. The photos are helpful and the asymmetry is visible, however your arm position alters the appearance of the breast.

Rather than discuss all the possibilities, I would encourage you to visit a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in revisionary breast surgery to formally evaluate you and determine the appropriate course of action for you.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon