Areola scars and return of gynecomastia. What kind of revision is best? (Photo)

I had surgery (excision + lipo) over a year ago. I am lean but still they removed a gland the size of a deck of cards from each side. They did a pretty good job for how much they removed. Nipples have a weird shape now and are always puffy and there is a lot of loose skin but overall was satisfied. The scars came in pretty heavily and they extend beyond the Aereola. I would like to get the scars removed and also gynecomastia returned and is the size of a marble. What kind of revision is best

Gynecomastia Revision Surgery

The areas after Gynecomastia Surgery may feel “lumpy” or irregular, and should decreases with time. Often massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. Also, the #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible that any indentations could be addressed with fat grafting or cosmetic filler(s) if eligible.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Puffy nipples

Your scarring could be revised and hopefully improved. I find puffy nipples are often due to scar tissue although in your case it has been a year since the procedure so this may not be the case. If it is scar tissue then it tends to resolve after a steroid injection. If it is residual gynaecomastia then this could be taken away at the same time as revising your scars. I would go back to your surgeon for his opinion 

Vivek Sivarajan, MBChB
Glasgow Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and the scars could be revised and excess tissue removed in one corrective surgery so see some experts in your area

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

You have a very nice result. I would recommend you do nothing at this time. I would advise you to wait another year or so and see if things are improving or getting worse. If they are getting wore, get a revision at that time.

Terry E. Restivo, DO
Napa Physician