What can I do about my acne scars on my nose? What type of surgery or treatment? (Photos)

I am 21 Years Old and I have had this problem since high school. I dont get acne on my nose anymore but previous acne has left me with these bumps on my nose that I cant stand. I get really self-conscious about them. I dont want my nose to look like this anymore. Would Laser Resurfacing and/or DermaPen Treatment help?

Laser Resurfacing

Thank you for your question. Lasers are used to vaporize the outer layer of damaged skin to allow fresh and new skin underneath to shine through. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. The in-person examination will allow you and the surgeon to understand your needs more deeply.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers

Two steps:

1. Ablation of the individual "bump scars" with CO2 laser

2. Resurfacing the entire nose with a CO2 or Erbium laser

Firas Al-Niaimi, MSc
London Dermatologist

Acne scars

These lumps can be removed with a CO2 laser - they are basically "cored" out with a cutting laser handpiece.  This will leave you with a little scab for about a week or 2 and may take more than one treatment.  Once the larger lumps are gone you can do more of a full laser resurfacing of the nose to smooth it all out.  You need to see someone that has a variety of lasers to get the best combination.    

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Acne scar treatment

Ablative fractional CO2 laser is effective for improving acne scars. See a specialist in your area who can treat the acne and offer laser treatments. Best wishes.

Scars on Nose -- Lasers, Dessication, Peels

This type of "scarring" is often not just scars its sometimes follicular growths that require a series of lasers or radio desiccation treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Acne scars on nose

hi and thanks for your question. My best advice would be seeing a cosmetic dermatologist who can effectively manage your underlying acne and provide treatment options to improve the bumps on the nasal skin of your nose. Because of your skin color laser resurfacing might not be a good option as it may result in a permanent altered pigmentation of the skin. Best of luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Acne scars

Thanks for your question and photos. Looking at your photos I would suggest intralesional steroid injections may help flatten the scars and then laser resurfacing with a carbon dioxide laser (CO2) would have the potential to give you the improvement you are seeking. If you are no longer getting acne lesions and new scars I would not suggest oral accutane at this time. (Also be aware that there is a small risk of poor healing / scaring if you do resurfacing within 6 months of taking oral retinoids such as accutane).

Hope this helps

Ralph Massey, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologist

Bumps on nose

Because your inherited tendency, you have extremely oily skin with large pores. These bumps are due to plugging of the pores with cystic formation and probable scarring. Isotretinoin and retinoic acid will reduce the oiliness skin and should be done by a dermatologist. The bumps can be treated with laser and/or injection with steroids. A good skincare program including advance facial treatments will help prevent this in prone individuals.

Richard O. Gregory, MD