Am I a good candidate for lip fillers? (photos)

I really would like my upper lip to extend to the corners and meet my bottom lip. As I don't have much upper lip to work with, I'm worried that injections would make it look extremely fake. I feel like my profile could definitely benefit from more volume as well. I would also like to have a defined Cupid's bow but I'm not sure if my shape allows for that. I live in the San Diego area and would be willing to traveling to Los Angeles for this procedure. How much does one syringe usually cost?

Juvederm and Restylane Can Reshape Lips

The hyaluronic-acid based fillers are the best choice for natural-looking changes in lip definition, shape and volume. It is extremely important to find a practitioner with expertise in injection technique and in using HA fillers to redefine the lips. Please consult a board-certified dermatologist who specializes in lip augmentation.

San Diego Dermatologist

Am I a good candidate for lip fillers?

As perfect lip injections tailored to specific individual needs is an advanced art, please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatologist for a consultation.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Lip Augmentation

Based on your photos it appears that you could benefit from a syringe of filler to even out and improve the appearance of your lips.  Please consult an expert dermatologist in lip fillers for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip enhancement

Hyaluronic acid fillers can improve the shape and size of your upper lip.  The other option which I have used with great success over many years is a lip tuck procedure.  This is a permanent correction, as opposed to the short term improvement of any filler, and can be very precise in terms of changing the Cupid's bow definition as well as the shape and volume of the vermillion.  The end result is specifically designed by YOU prior to the procedure!  It is usually done under local anesthesia, and has given very natural and dramatic results in a wide variety of cases.

Michael F. McGuire, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Lip fillers

Based off of your photos and what you are looking for, I think that you could benefit from 1 syringe of a hyaluronic acid lip filler such as Restylane or Juvederm to the top lip. The cost will depend on which product is used and who is injecting it. Keep in mind that it is important to consult a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to ensure that the injections are done properly..

Neil Sadick, MD

Lip Augmentation

Lip augmentation with fillers is highly individualized and should be performed after a consultation with an experienced and certified injector.  Depending on the desired outcome, injectors can choose from a variety of products to either add volume or shape lips, or a combination of both.  We typically start patients with a 1 ml syringe of product, and can always add a second syringe in several weeks if more volume is desired.  Cost varies by facility and geographic location.  Patients need to be aware of the downtime associated with lip augmentation, including bruising and swelling that can last several days.  After a conversation and consultation with a certified injector, you should proceed with your treatment with confidence and excitement.

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Fillers may be more adequate for your face to provide you the extra volume you desire. The cost varies based upon the filler used. I suggest that you move forward by consulting with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip fillers

Thank you for your photos. You are a great candidate to accentuate and reshape your lips with hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane silk or Juvederm Ultra XC - particularly on the top lipto improve the proportions between the upper and lower lips. If the injections are done carefully and in the right areas, you can have both better volume AND shape without looking fake. Prices will vary depending on the type and amount of filler you decide on getting. For the best treatment options and the pros and cons of each type of injectable filler, it is important to visit an expert for an in-person examination. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee MD

Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Am I a good candidate for lip fillers?

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your upper lip is small compared to your lower and does get more thin towards the corners of the mouth. In addition, your chin is quite weak which can contribute to making the lips "appear" smaller (discussed below).  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The upper lip can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Lip Augmentation

Judging from your photos, it appears that lip augmentation of your upper lip with something like Juvederm Ultra plus would help you achieve your goals. I am sure that you can find a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist in San Diego to do it. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD