Good candidate for forehead reduction and/or hair transplants? Typical price? Seeking dr. in or near San Diego. (photos)

I want to move my hairline down & my temporal hairs closer in as well. I want to avoid the square unnatural result I have often seen, also afraid of hair loss/hair stop growing since the scalp is pulled completely off(ick!) I'm of mixed race & have tightly curled hair,often worn pulled back, could this be a possible setback for transplants surviving or the scar showing? My skin doesn't heal very well, I have a keloid so scars are a major concern.any input would be so greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hair transplant surgery is a good way to round out the hair line without scarring.

Hair transplant surgery is a good way to round out the hair line without scarring.  It is best to consult many doctors if you are considering surgery.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Forehead reduction or transplant

IF you wish to bring in the temple peaks and round your hairline, then a hair transplant is the way to go. We do these surgeries regularly, even my daughter-in-law and my wife had it done,  see below

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hairline advancment

You would be a good candidate for hairline advancement. There are several point to consider:

1. Degree of advancement - typically it will be possible to advance your hairline by an inch

2. Keloids - good surgical technique can decrease the chance of that from happening. Keloids develop primarily in the mandible - ear area as well as upper chest and they are less frequent in other areas. A hypertrophic scar can be revised or covered by hair transplants 

3. Hair loss - unusual to see with hairline advancement due to the technique we use

4. Hair transplants from the get-go - definitely an options but costly 

Vartan Mardirossian, MD
Jupiter Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead Reduction and/or Hair Transplants

I have a bias towards forehead reduction because the patient can achieve hair of uniform thick density behind the new hairline. If you want to augment the temporal hairline transplants will provide the soft thinner hair.

Tough case

Great question.  You must have done some research because you seem to be aware of some of the challenges that your case presents.  Surgical hairline advancement can move your hairline an inch, maybe a little more.  This would make a significant change, the type of change that would take several  thousand hair grafts to match.  The issue, as you are aware, is that if you don't heal the incision can be visible.  If the scar is a little off color or slightly wide, then a couple hair grafts can hide it.  If you get a large keloid then hair grafts won't do the trick.  Moving your hair line with just grafts is another option, but you will need a lot of grafts if you want to have a thick hairline moved forward a couple inches.  Tightly curled hair makes graft harvest more difficult, so you will want to have an experienced surgeon with (maybe more importantly) an experienced staff assisting him or her.  Hair loss with surgical hairline advancement is rare, and when it happens it is typically temporary.  Sit down with a surgeon who performs both procedures and they will help you decide.  They will look at things like how much hair you have to transplant and how loose you scalp is for advancement.  This could help you make the decision.  Good luck. 

Bryan Rolfes, MD
Minneapolis Otolaryngologist