Is going to a 44DD or 44E too much for my build?

I'm 6' 1" tall with an athletic build from years of rowing. I'm currently a B cup. I am around 210 lbs with about 18% body fat. I'd like to have full breasts; width, protrusion and ample cleavage. Im a 44 band size with a 41 lower chest. I like Kate Upton's breast size.

Dimensional Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Your best first step will be to select a board certified Plastic Surgeon who's work appeals to you. They will likely begin planning by taking a variety of measurements of your original, pre-surgery body contour, including your height, weight, breast width, breast height as well the distance between nipple and breast fold. Skin elasticity may also be considered. If your breast measures fairly wide, then you will have the option of selecting a larger, wider diameter implant to provide you with a proportionate look. My patients find it helpful to try on implant sizers with a form-fitting T-Shirt in the office. This can provide you with a good idea of your eventual look.
All the best

Depends on how much skin laxity you have

This question would be impossible to answer without seeing you in person or by photograph.     Prior to inserting an implant, a pocket has to be dissected which will accept the implant.    The implant would have to not only fit into the pocket but should move an inch or so in any direction when pressure is applied to the implant - if an implant has no room to move, the breast will look artificially round and be rock hard.     You should accept the recommendation of your surgeon regarding final implant size.

Determining breast size for breast augmentation

the best way to determine the size of your implant is to try on various sizes and styles of implants. You can do this easily with a sports bra and clingy type of top to determine what looks best on you.

Susan Kaweski, MD

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Breast size

to determine the implant size best for you would really require a personal exam.  What a DD or EE is can be very subjective.  I would warn, however, about going too large.  Overly large implants can cause sagging over time and what seems like a good idea today might be something you later regret.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you  is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Choosing an Implant

Thanks for your question!  It sounds like you may have the body build to go for a larger implant size but a bit hard to tell you without pictures and/or a physical examination.  You have the right idea though by having a person or look in mind when you visit your physician. Focus less on the size of bra you will be wearing after surgery (as they vary from store to store) but more on your overall goal of the "Kate Upton" look. By working with a board certified plastic surgeon who has 3D imaging you should be able to come to shared decision on which implant not only fits your body but your post-operative goals.
Wishing you all the best, Steven Camp MD#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

You can have a beautiful result with breast augmentation

Hello Nicole and thank you for your question! I want to start off by telling you what I tell many of my patients: Do not focus on cc's or bra sizes as many women see their friend with "x" number of cc implants etc and think that they have an idea of what they want. There is a lot that goes into implant selection -- your breast volume, the amount of cleavage you want to achieve, your base width, your rib shape/projection, etc. Also, when it comes to bra sizes, most women are not accurately sized for their bras. Please keep in mind that a breast implant is a round object and has a certain diameter. Your base width on each side of your chest will determine "how big of a ball" or what diameter implant you can reliably go up to with a socially acceptable cosmetic outcome. The implant will "augment" or increase the size of your breasts to an amount acceptable to you and your surgeon. There is no correlation between height and weight and base width; therefore you need an in person examination to be accurately measured, but I have operated on women with "your build" and achieved the kind of results they were hoping for when they followed the advice below: The most important thing to consider is really the size and look that is appealing to YOU with the implants you choose. Many surgeons have sizing models whether using bras with implants or computer simulation. I encourage you to discuss with your surgeon many of these considerations when deciding which implant and size to use during your surgery. My patients will try on a sports bra and then we pick the implants based on their measured breast base width. For example, if your base width were to support for example up to a 600cc implant, I would have you try on the 600cc implants in the bra and then the 550cc or 500cc implants and afterwards select the implant that made YOU the happiest. In reality, don't stress too much as this is not a HUGE difference and should be the fun part of the process. Go with what is acceptable based on your measurements and makes you happiest, and make sure to weigh the pros and cons of the options you are considering. You can also compare the moderate profile with high profile implants and see which  look you like most. The profile of the implant will determine how much upper pole fullness and overall projection you portray. 

Make sure to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in aesthetic breast surgery. I hope this helps answer your questions and I wish the best of luck to you!

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Breast implant selection is an important process and requires good communication between you and your surgeon. Typically, breast measurements are initially obtained to provide an initial guide to implants appropriate for your chest. It's then advised that you try different sizers in a normal bra with a tight t-shirt to get an idea of what your breasts would look like. It's important to focus on the look that you want instead of a specific cup size or implant size. Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question. You will find that online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific advice in regards to selection of specific breast implant size/profile.  Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "DD or E cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.  3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers). Viewing the patient's chest wall in the upright and supine positions, with temporary sizes in place, help select the best breast implant size/profile for the specific patient. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to "larger" breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.