Interested in a mini minimal procedure for excess tummy skin. No perfection needed just some skin removed. Suggestions? (photo)

I am 61 yrs old .. I SUP often and live at the beach .. just graduated from school and don't want a lot of down time nor a 20 yr old tummy .. I am on the water often so the wrinkled stomach skin is annoying to me .. I have terrible reaction to anesthesia but that can't be avoided right ?

Thank you for your question and photos. From looking at your photos you may benefit from lipoabdominoplasty under general anesthesia. Unfortunately, that is general anesthesia and it will be vital for you to notify your anesthesiologist of your previous experience and they maybe able to modify where it may not be as bad. It is best to have a consult and examination by a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Good luck.

Tummy tuck

As long as you are in good health, you should do very well from a tummy tuck. Seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can guide you in appropriate decision making as to what approach will be best for you. Also anesthesia has changed over the years and nausea and vomiting can be avoided postoperatively.

Susan Kaweski, MD

Tummy Tuck for Loose Skin

Thank you for your questions and photos.  In order to remove loose skin, a tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck with or without liposuction can be done, usually under general anesthesia.  An in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgery would individualized your treatment options for reaching your goals.  Hope this helps...best of luck!

Mini minimal procedure for excess tummy skin

You CAN get what you want.  There are so many technical variations of "tummy tuck" (abdominoplasty and/or mini-abdominoplasty) that many surgeons, myself among them, adapt your procedure as needed to flatten the amount of abdominal wall bulge and the amount of excess skin that you present with.  In the creative surgeon's hands, abdominoplasty is highly individualized.  There's no "one size fits all" solution.  Skin and fat removal involves a scar, and the more skin and fat removed, the longer the scar.  You don't show a side view, and don't show your very low abdomen, so it's hard to see how much extra skin and/or "overhang" (if any) there is, so hard to know how long scar would be.  Don't expect "terrible" reaction to anesthesia.  Inform anesthesiologist what your adverse reaction has been in the past.  He/she will then adjust your management appropriately to prevent those issues.

Steve Laverson, MD

Options for skin tightening of the abdomen.

You would be best served by having a face-to-face consultation with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss the options available to you.  Since you do have a high belly button you might be a candidate for mini tummy tuck with umbilical float with liposuction of your upper stomach.  Certainly the most dramatic improvement is derived from a full tummy tuck but you seem to wish to avoid the procedure.

Seek several consultations in your area to discuss options and see before-and-after photographs.  Keep in mind that many tummy tucks often create small and not very satisfying improvements but this may be best suited to meet your goals.  Good luck and best wishes. Please enjoy the video above.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Interested in a mini minimal procedure for excess tummy skin. No perfection needed just some skin removed.

There are a variety of tummy tucks that can produce a good cosmetic result in the appropriate patient: a mini tummy tuck, a modified with an umbilical float, or a variety of a full abdominoplasty, all of which may, or may not, include tightening of the muscle and liposuction. Generally if there is significant loose skin above the umbilicus (belly button), a full tummy tuck will result in a greater correction and better outcome.

Liposuction alone, no matter which type, will not produce a good cosmetic improvement in a patient with your anatomy. Based on your acceptance of a less than ideal result, a mini tummy tuck and liposuction of selective areas would be a reasonable option.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal skin

You would be an excellent candidate, from your photos, for a mini tummy tuck.  This would involve an incision beneath the bikini line and removing skin from the pubic area to the level of the belly button.  Also, some liposuction of your hips would be advantageous.,

Loose tummy skin

You can have either a full or mini tummy tuck.  I think the full tummy tuck will give you a flatter tummy and many mini tucks are disappointing in their result.  However, given your modest goals and your appearance a mini tuck may do the trick for you.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tt

You do need a standard tummy tuck.
From your pictures, it looks like you will have a 20 year old tummy after the procedure. Sorry to say ??
You ll need 2 weeks of rest and then 3 to 4 weeks before exercising
You ll see some amazing improvement though.
I would not recommend any other procedure.

Mini Tummy Tuck or full tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your school graduation and successfully staying out on the water and exercising!

You will get the best answer to your question by scheduling an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and discussing your unique situation and concerns. The surgeon would meet with you, examine you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure in person and what you can realistically expect. Communicate your areas of concern and goals with your plastic surgeon, preferably in front of a mirror and it often helpful to bring in photos of yourself at an age you would like to refresh your personal look to. Then you can make an informed decision on which procedure(s) to start with according to your desires, recovery time necessary, your history and current health. One of the most important factors is not only your health going into the procedure(s) but the support system you have available for your recovery time and the amount of time you can seriously devote to recovery. Patients that have the needed recovery time scheduled in advance usually recover faster as they don't have the added stress of knowing they are needed 4 days after a tummy tuck to be back to their normal routine. Take all of this into consideration with your surgeon when making this decision and get realistic answers to your concerns in advance will make the whole process easier.

Rather than finding a non-certified surgeon that may give you better pricing it can be helpful to find a newer Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that has years of experience in training and surgery-required to become Board Certified in Plastic Surgery but is newer in practice. They have the latest up to date training and highest standards as currently set by the newest technology and are often able to pass on to the consumer much better pricing. The newer Certified Plastic Surgeons give special pricing which most will pass on to you, the consumer. Check for special pricing here on RealSelf and free consultations and make sure the surgeon is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and you may find the perfect Plastic Surgeon for you who is able to work with your budget without cutting corners!.