Will Smart Lipo help me? (Photo)

You are a poster child for a tummy tuck

Your belly is the classic example of what an abdominal diastasis looks like. In plain terms, your abdominal muscles are separated in the middle from top to bottom and pushed off to the sides. This happens during pregnancy and is a permanent condition regardless of whether you diet or exercise. Some women develop a mild diastasis. Yours is large. The fix is an abdominoplasty with muscle plication.

Liposuction Versus Tummy Tuck

You likely need both liposuction and tummy tuck.  I suggest seeing an expert who does both or works with a hi definition lipocontouring expert like myself.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Consider tummy tuck

SmartLipo is a great technology for the right person and the right reason.  Based on your photos, I don't think it would be appropriate for you.  You have a significant amount of excess skin and subcutaneous fat on your abdomen, stretch marks, and I would suspect abdominal wall laxity.  See a plastic surgeon near you, I think he/she will recommend a tummy tuck.

Will Smart Lipo help me?

Thanks for your pictures and question.  Based on your pictures alone, SmartLipo may not be the best option for you.  Seek an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can talk to you about all options (SmartLipo. traditional lipo, and tummy tuck).

Naveen Setty, MD

Liposuction for abdominal area

Liposuction is excellent for abdominal fat reduction but the fat can only be removed from the space between the skin and the underlying muscle. If the fat is deeper (behind the muscle) then liposuction will not work. In these cases, diet and exercise is the way to go.
I hope that helps and best regards, Dr. Sapijaszko.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Smart lipo

Hi & thank you for your question & photo.

Looking at your photo I think a better option for you would be a tummy tuck. I recommend seeing  a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. Best of luck to you!

SmartLipo contouring

SmartLipo is great for contouring the body, but you need to have fat available to treat. The bulge in your belly could be due to fat above the muscle, which can be treated with lipo. However, if the fat is below the muscle, lipo is not going to help. If the latter, you need to just lose weight. Then Lipo can be performed to contour the body if needed after you've lost the weight. You also have an option to do a tummy tuck too.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Is Smartlipo appropriate?

Smartlipo is an acceptable technology, but for the right patient, body type and expectations. Based on your photos, I think a full tummy tuck with plication of the rectus (abdominal muscles) w/ some regular lipo would give you the best results. However, if you are just trying to thin some of the fatty thickness of the skin, then you could go the smartlipo route, but a more aggressive technology such as regular, power, ultrasound lipo would give you better results. Again, with the roundness of your abdomen, a full tummy tuck will give you the best results.