Is my scar stopping my breast implant from dropping? (Photo)

375cc under the muscle Silicone 2 months post op

Scar preventing implant from dropping?

Hello, usually the scar under the breast will not prevent the implant from settling.  However, if you notice that one breast is not settling normally, you could discuss this with your surgeon.  Often it takes several months for the implants to settle.

2 months post op

It is not uncommon for the breasts to sit a bit high and firm still at two months. I let my patients know that they can expect it to take 2-6 months for breast implants to drop. Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon for assessment as you heal.

All the best

Inframmary approach limits dropping to a certain extent

The scar doesn't specifically stop the implants from dropping.  However, because of this old-fashioned approach, the pocket was not crafted in any sophisticated way.  The dropping will be less effective and the shape will not be as finely developed as if you had had a transaxillary endoscopic approach.

The most sophisticated approach to breast augmentation is through the armpit with a surgical camera (transaxillary endoscopic). Using this modern approach the space can be crafted under direct vision, with virtually no bleeding and no postoperative bruising. Most importantly, the shape of the breast is meticulously created. The other, older methods of insertion are technologically less advanced. Both silicone and saline implants can be placed through the armpit by a surgeon with skill and experience using this approach. The incision in the crease is the oldest method of placing the implants and puts a scar directly on the breast.

A round implant would be a better choice because they move more like breasts. The anatomic implants have a textured surface which makes them feel very unnatural. In addition, there is no benefit to anatomical. There is an X-Ray study that shows the implants from the side at 6 months. Standing, the round and the antomical implants have the same profile. When you lie down however, the anatomical implants do not change, which is unnatural. A round implant will change when you lie down, like a natural breast would.

The best way to determine the size that fits your personal perception of the perfect breast is to try on sizers. This way you can see how they fit on you, how they add to your current volume, and whether they fit your frame. Although the surgeon can guide you, only you will be able to tell what is the right size. Try on sizers. Measuring a diameter and then telling the patient what volume they can have (in high, moderate or moderate plus implants) in my mind is backwards. The patients should be allowed to choose the volume. Then the surgeon carefully considers the base diameter, projection, profile, manufacturer, and fill material that will achieve the patients goals of size as well as qualitative look (natural, intermediate, or bold upper pole fullness or projection), all the while taking into consideration the patient's anatomic features that will affect the outcome. The experience of the surgeon and the degree to which they explain the options to you is of utmost importance. The subtlety in the final outcome is not achieved by which profile implant is used, it is determined by the skill in the creation of the pocket, the choice of implant. Don't let the doctor tell you what would look good on you. They cannot tell what you perceive to be the best size. There is no maximum. That is up to you.

Breast Augmentation and Implant Dropping

Judging by your photos, it appears that you are on track.  You implant on the right side appears to be sitting at the same level as the left side, however it just appears that the right nipple and areola complex is lower than the left side.  This was likely preoperatively as some asymmetry before surgery is very common.

I would recommend you evaluate your preoperative photos with your plastic surgeon and see if this is the reason.  I would also make sure that the implant on the right is as soft as the one on the left.  If the creases or the tucks look even then it is likely that your NAC were off before surgery.

Good luck, it is best to follow up with your plastic surgeon to make certain you are in fact healing properly.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Your scar is not keeping your implant from dropping. It is still early in your recovery and the skin has not completely stretched. I would massage the right implant inferiorly as directed by your plastic surgeon. A bandeau may also be useful to keep constant pressure on the right breast. Good luck.

Breast scar

Nope, unlikely its the scar. Your breasts look great; its just early. The less breast tissue you begin with, the longer it takes for the skin and the muscle to stretch and relax to accommodate the implants. Keep performing your breast exercises as recommended by your board certified plastic surgeon. You should see a vast improvement in the firmness and location of your breasts around  3-6 months. Hang in there!

Breast augmentation and healing

Thank you for your pictures and question. Your results are great thus far.There is nothing of concern in your photos. Try to be patient in your healing and give 3-6 months to heal adequately; as well as up to a full year.

Best  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Scar

It is very unlikely that your small scar is preventing your implant from dropping. It does take time for the swelling to subside and your tissues to relax. Please follow your surgeon's instructions on massaging and give yourself time.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Is My Scar Stopping My Implants From Dropping?

Dear Gisellerazo2193,  There are many factors that dictate if and how fast breast implants take to settle into position.  Probably the most important is how firm and resistant your breast tissues are to stretching to accommodate the implant size.  For those patients with more "stretchy" breasts, their implants will normally drop in a shorter time after surgery when compared to their more resistant counterparts.  The good news is that usually they all get to the same place eventually.  

Just to reassure yourself, talk with your plastic surgeon and tell them your concerns. 

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Implants not dropping

At two months postoperatively, it's more likely the tightness of the overlying skin and muscle that are contributing to the implant staying in the less pressured environment of the upper pole of your breast. As these tissue stretch, which may take several more months, the implant should naturally drop down into the bottom of the pocket created for it. Be patient and follow up with your plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS