Do I have an infection around my areola incision, and if so how bad will the scarring be? (Photos)

I'm 20 years old and I had a 400cc breast implants put in, I'm 19 days post op and one of my breasts is healing pretty good I mean I'm no doctor but I think it's healing good. As for the other one it looks like some of the stitches popped before their time. Can I get it restitched? Is there infection? Will the scarring be very noticeable ? What can or I should I do? My surgeon is 3 hours away and getting ahold of him is kind of hard.

Peri areolar infection?

From your photos, it does not seem as if you have an infection, but just a little crusting and slower healing where the stitches were.  It will heal very well with more time.

Please see your doctor.

Hello and thank you for sharing your concerns. It seems as though you are having some wound healing problems. You should consult your surgeon, but in the meantime, you must keep the area clean by application of antibiotic ointment and covering. Best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Areola incision

Thanks for your question. Based on your photos I don't see any signs of infection, although it does look like you have a small wound dehiscence. This is a situation where some of the sutures have released early and the incision has opened up. My recommendation would be to follow-up with your plastic surgeon as any exposed sutures will need to be removed in order to prevent an infection. You may also need to have the incision re-sutured. Good luck and all the best.

Ian MacArthur, MD, FRCSC
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Wound dehiscence

It looks like you are having some wound healing problems. Sorry that your doc is 3 hours away, but you should ask him what he prefers that you do for wound care.

It would be best to have your exposed sutures removed because they will continue to irritated the would and slow its healing meaningfully. They also increase the risk that some infection may occur. In the meantime, until you can see your surgeon, keep it clean and use antibiotic ointment several times each day and keep it covered with gauze/Band-Aid.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Talk to your doctor

It appears some stitches have pulled loose.  The area will need to be kept clean, application of antibiotic ointment, and covered.  Talk to your doctor about letting this heal or having it restitched.

If one lets it heal and mature, the incision can be

improved and revised.  Usually this can be done under local and take just a few moments.  But for now it seems a little early to consider.  Wait for laxity in the scar first then consider a reconsult with your surgeon for the possibility of a revision.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon