Weird looking incision - 5 Week post op Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation. (photo)

Will this go away on it's own? Not sure what it is?

Concerned about Incision 5 Weeks Post Op

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks.  The #healing process make take at least 3-4 months until you see your final results. I suggest you contact your surgeon or their medical staff and further inquire. At any time, you have any concerns about your healing or recovery, it's best to contact your plastic surgeon  sooner than later,  to prevent any possible infections or #healing complications.

Dog ear

Depending on how long ago your surgery was, this may change. If this does not flatten out it is easy enough to be fixed by your plastic surgeon. Good luck, Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Dog ear after tummy tuck

What you show is a close up of an apparent "dog-ear," also known as a standing cone.  Dog ears can look worse when there is residual swelling, so we usually advise waiting a few months.  They can easily be revised under local anesthesia if needed. If you were facing up at the time of surgery, it may have been impossible to continue the incision farther back.  This can be solved by having you lie on your side when revision comes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Dog Ear Formation Following Surgery

The irregularity you see at the end of your tummy tuck incision is a common problem, we in the business call it a “dog ear”. These are created as we taper to the end of an incision and are caused by the tissue folding a little on itself, creating an unwanted fullness. Sometimes these are artificially created from purse-stringing or tightness of the stitches under the surface at the ends and can improve as the stitches dissolve and the tissue relaxes. That’s what we hope is going on!

The other cause is a true redundancy of fat and skin at the end of the incision, and this will persist over time and need to be revised. Fortunately, it is a simple little procedure to go back and thin away any excess skin and fat. Usually that can be done under local anesthetic in the office. At this point, it is too early to tell or to do anything about it. For now I would recommend firm massage of the area, continued compression, and make sure to point this out and discuss this with your plastic surgeon at your next visit.  

Dog ear

I'm agreement with the other surgeons.  A dog ear is a bit of excess skin at the ends of the incisions.  This will flatten to some degree with time.  You may need a small revision surgery where the extra skin is removed.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

dog ear

This is what is referred to in the vernacular as a "dog ear."   A dog ear is  tissue that is puckered or gathered at the end of the incision due to a mismatch in length between the upper and lower incisions. These are very common in tummy tuck surgery as the amount of skin and the length of the incision from the upper incision is generally longer than the lower incision.  Dog ears will improve over the course of 6 to 12 weeks following surgery and may require minor revision in the office following contraction of the skin and maturity of the scar.  Good Luck. 

Incision concerns

Looks like a dog ear.   Please followup with your plastic surgeon to get this addressed.  Once you've healed from your tummy tuck, this can be revised under local.  Best wishes.

Weird looking incision - 5 Week post op Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation.

Occasionally, after tummy tuck surgery surgery, patients will have excess skin or adipose tissue at the very end of their incision lines. These may be referred to as “dog ears”. "Dog ears"  refer to a bunching up of tissue at the end of a incision line/scar. Generally they occur  because a surgeon,  in his/her attempt to keep the scar as short as possible,  has a discrepancy between the lengths  of the upper and lower tummy tuck incision lines. They can be avoided by extending the incisions and removing additional skin and subcutaneous tissue. Most patients will much prefer a longer incision line than  the bunching up of tissue and contour elevation, which is visible and palpable with and without clothing.  Often, excision of the dog ear, if it's still a concern roughly one year postoperatively can be corrected easily under local anesthesia. I hope this helps.

Extra Skin at End of Incision after Tummy Tuck

• From the photo you have shared, it appears that you have some extra skin at the end of your tummy tuck incision.  We refer to this as a "dog ear" or standing cone deformity. 
  • It may improve some over time, but not entirely. 
  • The good news is that your plastic surgeon should be able to remove this in the office using a local anesthetic. 
  • Definitely discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon. 
  • Thanks for sharing!

Dogear after abdominoplasty will not go away.

From the photo, it looks like a "dogear" at the end of the abdominoplasty incision.  This is redundant skin gathered upon itself.  Surgical revision will be necessary if I am correct.