Would a chin implant would be right for me? (photo)

I'm worried that i might have to do more than just a simple implant, my dad went through the method of breaking his jaw to re-align it and I don't want to have to go through that myself. Also, estimated cost?

Would a chin implant would be right for me?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Jaw

The picture shows a small jaw. So you would need what your dad had. Especially if you have signs of sleep apnea. If you want to have a small change in profile you can choose to have an implant or sliding genioplasty.

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin augmentation?

Based on your photo chin augmentation will significantly improve your facial balance. Whether you need jaw realignment surgery will depend of your occlusion. In the case that your occlusion is satisfactory decision between sliding genioplasty (cutting and advancing chin bone, not entire jaw) or chin implant will be based on your clinical presentation and surgeon's preference. Consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon with good reputation in facial surgery should be your first step. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation

Given your young age and degree of lower jaw shortness, you would be much better served long-term with a sliding genioplasty as opposed to a chin implant.

Would A chin implant be right for me?

From the one limited photograph, there is a weak and recessive chin profile present for  Which a chin  implant can improve. Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes, are composed of silastic, and are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. In our practice, we use Implantech  chin implants for over 25 years with an excellence success rate. If your teeth are significantly out of alignment, consider a sliding Genioplasty procedure to break the jaw and realign it. This procedure is performed by an oral surgeon. For many examples and diagrams of chin implants, please see the link and the video below