Uncomfortable labiaplasty - 2 weeks post-op.

had labiaplasty 2 weeks ago and I feel my labia much more now then ever in my life. One is so so so uncomfortable that I can feel it every move and have to pull on my panties every 5 min. Im using vaseline no vaseline panties/ none. I don't know what to do. My doctor said I'll be swollen but this is beyond uncomfortable please help

Call your surgeon if you're uncomfortable after your labiaplasty

Go see your surgeon. No one knows your recovery better than the surgeon who operated on you. They will be able to give you specific advice and see if everything is healing properly.

As you are still fairly early in the postoperative period, it is normal to have some discomfort in the labia. The degree of swelling and how well you're healing can also contribute to the amount of discomfort as well as your activity levels. Typical recommendations for post op pain relief include, warm water soaks, as well as alternating warm and cold packs on the area.  Without photos however, it is difficult to have an exact idea of what is occurring in your specific situation, but if you're in that much discomfort, I would recommend follow up with your surgeon. Occasionally, increased swelling and pain can be a sign of infection and should be evaluated immediately, especially if over the past two weeks you have not noticed improvement in symptoms. 

Pain and swelling after labiaplasty

If you are truly in that much pain you should go in to your surgeon's office. It is generally not normal for pain to linger that long after surgery. So it is important for your surgeon to evaluate you and see what is causing you to be in so much pain and discomfort. 

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Post-labiaplasty pain

Sorry to hear that you having discomfort. I think that you should make a follow up visit with your surgeon to have them examine you. In the short-term, you can try ice compresses or over the counter anesthetic spray to help with any discomfort. This all may be normal swelling, but you also want to make sure that this isn;t something more concerning. Without any pictures, it is difficult to give you any further insight. I hope the discomfort resolves soon.

Joseph Michaels, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty 2 weeks ago

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your recovery sensitivity.  Unfortunately without a series of photographs it is difficult to offer definite advice but as most patients have little discomfort after a few days, I would be concerned of a hematoma or other wound healing issue that is compromising your comfort.  See your surgeon for an in-person evaluation.

Post labiaplasty uncomfortable

Thank you for your question. Without seeing a picture it is difficult to comment. Even though discomfort is not un common as per your description it is more and on onside. I recommend you to see your surgeon for evaluation to rule out any hematoma or infection.

Having post-op pain. What to do (no pics nor info about what was done...)

You will need to contact your surgeon. How can we, who neither have a photo nor any idea what your surgeon did help you?!  Send a couple in-focus pics to your surgeon. Keep hands off.

Best,     Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, Ca, USA

Why uncomforatble 2 weeks after labiaplasty?

Dear Mermella,

Thank you for writing in with your concern about swelling and hypersensitivity after labiaplasty.  It is normal to have swelling/sensitivity for several weeks that for the most part resolves by 4-6 weeks.  I recommend to my patients to use ibuprofen or arnica montana for swelling and bruising, Dermaplast numbing and anti-septic spray (over-the-counter at CVS or Walgreens) 4-6 times a day, and Sitz baths twice a day for comfort.  A & D ointment can help but doesn't numb the area; lidocaine jelly can help with the sensitivity (you will need a prescription for this).  Follow up with your doctor if you continue to be concerned.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Pain after labiaplasty

Sorry to hear about your painful labia following your surgery. Pain is usually due to swelling from the sutures or tissue having been placed under too much tension. You should make sure you are examined by your surgeon to rule out any complications. In my office we remove the sutures at 1 week to alleviate discomfort and to avoid scarring from the sutures.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question. I would recommend calling your surgeon for reevaluation to determine if there are other options available.   Best of luck.  

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist