What type of results can I expect from implant removal? (photos)

I would like to have my breast implants removed. They are 420 cc smooth round saline, and are still soft. I was a 34 b prior to implants, and have since had 2 children that were breastfed. What is the likelihood of deformity after removal? Does it appear I will also require a breast lift? I do not wish to replace the implants

Explant Expectations

Good afternoon!

My approach to this would be to perform a complete capsulectomy, to remove the capsule surrounding your implants, at the same time we remove your implants. I would then place a drain in each pocket for about five days to make sure no fluid accumulates, and then I would have you wear a nice tight compression bra 24/7 for 12 weeks.

You won't need a lift, because the breast has an amazing ability to "shrink back down" but the keys are the removal of the capsules and the compression. Most of those complications or deformities you are afraid of just don't happen in these simple situations. I have removed implants that have been in for ten years or more with excellent results.

I have attached a link to my Breast Augmentation Revision Photo Gallery for your review- hope it helps!

Implant removal

It is hard to tell without an exam but you appear to have enough breast tissue that removing the implants should result in a natural look to your breasts without requiring a breast lift.  An exam in which the tissue can be palpated would help in determining this.  

What type of results can I expect from implant removal?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your photos and description, you have many positive things going for you when it comes to the outcome of surgery expected after breast implant removal. In my practice, I would likely not recommend breast lifting at the same time.

Generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts. In the meantime,
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns), helps.

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - results I can expect?

I'm not sure you're going to be happy with any of the choices involved with implant removal.  You can, of course, do whatever you are comfortable with - and you should, in any case, make that decision only after consultations in person with board-certified plastic surgeons - but you need to consider all the options.

Among them is not removing your implants.  If you remove them, you will (most likely) need smaller implants and/or a breast lift if you want to maintain a shape you'll be happy with and you will, either way, not have much superior fullness.

If there is any question you can have the implants removed and then re-assess.  But it's possible that you will then wish you had never removed your implants.  It's one thing if you have to (rupture, deflation, capsules, etc) but another if you don't.

And that's part of the discussions you should have with your plastic surgeons.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Appearance of Breast after Removal of Implants Only

Great question!   Your physician would first need to determine how much breast tissue you might have after the removal of the implants.  From reviewing your pictures I feel you might have a deflated look with removal of implants only.  However, if you considered a breast lift along with the removal of implants the appearance of your breast might not have the fullness you are used to seeing in your upper pole area.  Another option I would suggest is the removal of your implants first then wait 6 months for proper healing to determine if you are personally satisfied with your look.  Consult with your plastic surgeon to discuss all of your options for the best overall results.  Best of luck with your decision.......

Camille Cash, MD

Simple implant removal with or without capsule removal will leave some degree of sag and volume loss. If that's OK with you, then that is not a deformity. Just don't expect things to look just as if you have not had implants or children with breastfeeding. Many women opt for implant removal and let things heal before deciding upon further surgery. That is fine, but the real question is "What do you expect?"

Talk with your surgeon beforehand to get the info you need to choose correctly. :)

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD 

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

What will I look like after removal of 420cc implants?

Thank you for your question and photos.  It is very likely you will have excessive skin and sagging of your breasts.  There are a couple of ways to know what is realistic to expect.  One is to remove the implants and give yourself at least 6 months to see how your body adapts to the change.  The other is to have an exam by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in breast surgery. During your visit your surgeon should be evaluating your health to determine if you are a good surgical candidate and examining your tissues to get a sense of what type of procedure your tissues will allow. Only with a hands on exam can this be determined. During the consult you and the surgeon should be understanding of the goals and realistic outcomes of your choices. Once an exam and opinion is rendered then you can decide if surgery is right for you. Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Removal

How you look after the implants are removed depends on your skin as well as the size of the implants being removed.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in person exam to discuss your options.  Wearing a good sports bra during recovery will help your breast retain the shape.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast implant removal

Every patient is different in terms of how they will look after implants are removed. It depends upon many factors including how large the implants are and how much native breast tissue one has to name a few.

Although, your breast will be smaller and you will have looser skin if you remove your breast implants, this may not necessarily result in a deformity which requires a breast lift.  I would agree with Drs. Brown and Pousti, you can have the implants removed without a breast lift.  I would wait approximately 6 months and if you are not happy with the result then you could consider the breast lift.  Best wishes, Dr. Leproe.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon