What are your thoughts on blood thinners (ie Lovenox) after abdominoplasty?

Will be having abdominoplasy only when 40 lbs are gone. Some PS are saying blood thinner(lovenox specifically) after surgery for 10days-2 wks. I am 75 with no hx of clot problems,no heart problems; Hypertension under control and Diabetes II under control with oral med/diet/exercise. Had Lovenox with total knee replacement for 10days 3yrs ago. No excessive bruising noted. Heal very well. Minimal scar. Appreciate MD responses very much.

Thanks for your question. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon to determine which blood thinner fixs better for you. They are to prevent the formation of blood clots in your leg's veins (Deep Vein Thrombosis). If you had use Lovenox before and nothing happened to you it should be safe to use it again.
Ask him/her to find your Caprini Score and see if you need one of these drugs.

Have a nice day!

Lovenox after tummy tuck

Thank you so much for your question about your tummy tuck.

Lovenox is used as you say to reduce the risk of blood clots.
Tummy tucks have a higher than usual risk of blood clots - and they can be fatal.
Lovenox is not needed for everyone and is usually done after calculating the risk, using the Caprini scale.

Lovenox has risks - including rebound blood clotting so it is not a risk-free treatment.
Heparin is similar, safer but less easy to use.

Have your surgeon calculate your risk and discuss the pros/cons with your regular doctor as well, to be sure the right decision is made for you.

Here’s hoping you find this helpful. Have a great day!

What are your thoughts on blood thinners (ie Lovenox) after abdominoplasty? I'm

In a patient with negative history of DVT or PE, prophylactic Lovenox is not standard in an uncomplicated tummy tuck surgery. 
However, this decision remains individualized pet patient guided by the Caprini risk score. Please read below. 
Best is to discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Surgeons may vary in terms of their DVT prophylaxis protocols. 

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS, FACS

Thank you for your interesting question.  You need to be assessed properly to see what your risk for developing VTE / DVT, or PE is.  This done using the Caprini Risk Assessment scale and it is best to have your plastic surgeon communicate with your internist and allow them to make the appropriate recommendation jointly.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Lovenox after surgery

I think although you are healthy, with the length of time for a tummy tuck and the somewhat lesser mobility after the surgery I think it would be a wise choice. Since you have not had problams before, the risk is low.

Julio Garcia, MD

Lovenox after abdominoplasty surgery

Abdominoplasties carry a higher risk for the development of DVT/PE. Given your risk factors (age, HTN, DM 2), the use of Lovenox after surgery is a sound one. You have used in the past with no issues. If you are still concerned, discuss in detail with your PS or your primary physician.

Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

So take a look at...

...the Caprini score to gauge your risk for development of a blood clot perioperatively.  This guide has been used for years and is pretty much widely accepted by most surgeons.  ASAPS has a safety board that also puts recommendations out for plastic surgeons to follow.  Of course you have to weigh the risks and the benefits, but doesn't seem outside the standard of care to recommend Lovenox- especially since you have taken it before and didn't have any issues.

Lovenox and Tummy Tucks

• I prescribe Lovenox for seven days for all of my patients who are undergoing a tummy tuck. 
  • Not all plastic surgeons prescribe Lovenox, but we haven't seen an increase in bleeding with Lovenox, and we feel that it is a nice way to prevent deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and a resulting pulmonary embolism (PE).  
  • Tummy tucks do increase the risk of DVTs, and since this is a purely elective procedure my partner and I feel that it would be tragic if one of our patients developed a DVT/PE.  Therefore, we prescribe Lovenox for all of our patients undergoing this procedure to help prevent these potential complications.
  • Definitely, discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon

Lovenox after abdominoplasty

Lovenox is an excellent medication to help reduce the risks of clots forming in the veins of your legs (DVT).  As most clots form while a patient is asleep on the OR Table, continuing this medication for a week after surgery is generally not necessary.  The risk for DVT post operatively when the patient is ambulatory is low.  You do have some increased risks given your history.  I would discuss these concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Blood Thinners Post Tummy Tuck?

Thank you for your question!  I suggest you find a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss all of your concerns.  Your plastic surgeon will be able to tell you which blood thinners will work best for you.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval Patel Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Chicago Hoffman Estates Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon