is there a surgery that can get rid of 20 years of extreme sun damage so your skin can look like it did when you were a baby?

I haven't used sunblock until this year and I'm about to turn 20. I live in Texas and used to always be carelessly out in the sun and one summer even tanned extremely without sun protection. Please answer back it would mean so much.

Treating Sun Damage

Hi and thanks for your question!  The good news is you are becoming contentious about your skin at a young age and you have plenty of time to prevent a lot of damage you could have done, as well as reduce what has been done already. You are already doing the most important part, which is wearing your SPF ≥30 every day and remember to reapply every 90 minutes when outdoors! The other component that can make a big difference for someone your age, is starting a great skin care regimen. I recommend a consultation with an experienced office, that carries many products and can recommend that one that best suits you. Avoid an office that just carries one line of products. We spend time with our patients to assess their skin care needs and sensitives, and often as the year’s progress and seasons change, adjustments will need to be made for best results. We may consider our Clear and Brilliant laser to treat and reverse the sun damage, as well as start the prevention process. Best, Dr. Grant Stevens

Is there a surgery that can get rid of 20 years of extreme sun damage so your skin can look like it did when you were a baby?

Thanks for your query. There is no surgery as such for removing the tan but there are various other options available for removing tan like chemical peels, lasers like q switched Ndyag, microdermabrasion, etc. apart from these procedures regular home care is also needed in the form of proper sun block, skin whitening serums. A proper regime can be made after consultation with dermatologist. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Skin Resurfacing

Thank you for your question. The sun is very powerful and long-term exposure can harm your skin and increase your chances of cancer. You should continue to apply sunblock each morning, right before you go out in the sun, and wear sun protective closing. Laser skin resurfacing techniques can provide your skin some aesthetic relief. A chemical peel for example will address sun damage, rough skin, irregular pigmentation, fine lines and fine wrinkles. I suggest you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Aging and Lasers like Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

There are many options for treatments on the chest including lasers, IPL, microneedling/prp. It is best to make a formal consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist who can come up with a long term solution. It will require a number of combinations and long term sunprotection. Best, Dr. Emer

Skin damage secondary to sun exposure, best results.

Skin damage secondary to sun exposure, best results.  you will get the best results with a deep peel whether with phenol or CO2 laser. However when the sun damage is extensive this will leave you with some degree of hypo pigmentation. This is a trade-off and it depends what skin type you are. See a very experienced  surgeon who can show you his one year results.