Stress recovering from BA!

The day I came home from procedure my kids came down with hand foot and mouth so I didn't have a lot of help recovering. Ive been stressing the whole time being upset angry and just over all not in a good mood 90%of the time. Is the added stress and anxiety bad for my recovery ?

Stress and Surgery Recovery

Stressors are a part of life. You're not going to avoid stressors as long as you're alive. The real issue at hand is how you choose to deal with your stress and also your perspective, in other words, choosing to have an attitude of gratitude. Deep breathing, meditation, yoga, exercise, etc. are are tools to help decrease or eliminate stress. As for perspective, hey, you were able to have a breast augmentation! There are women who want a breast augmentation but can't afford to. You are intuitive when you say that stress can affect your recovery. It may not necessarily ruin the result (it won't help improve the result either), but stress can definitely slow your overall recovery. So yes, stress is bad for recovery. Stress can also lead to other illnesses if chronic. Wishing you a smooth, stress-free recovery (or at least a much less stressful recovery than what you're currently experiencing) and a speedy recovery for your children.

Sacramento Physician

Stress recovering from BA!

In a perfect world, you would have no added stress while recovering from surgery, but the truth is...that is not our reality. You will do just fine healing even though you are stressed out.

Emotional stress

There is probably never an ideal time to have this operation done if you have a busy family life with children but the general everyday stresses of life will not alter your result  -good luck with things

Stressful recovery

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear that you're having a difficult time post breast augmentation. It's very normal to experience a roller coaster of emotions post surgery, and in fact it's something I discuss with all my patient's preoperatively. For you it's probably been magnified due to the stress with your children. As long as you are careful with your arm activity and you don't do any heavy lifting I wouldn't expect there to be any issues with your breasts long term. I know this is an extremely difficult time for you, but hang in there!

Stress after BA

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you have had after your surgery, it certainly seems as though you have had your hands full.  While emotional stress and anxiety are not good from a mental standpoint, I don't think it will ultimately affect your final result.  More importantly, if you have small kids and have to be very active, especially lifting and caring for them, you could potentially displace an implant if it is under the muscle or potentially pop open an incision.  As much as possible you should call on your friends and family for as much help as possible in the early postoperative period.  Best of luck with your recovery!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon