Preventing stretch marks after breast augmentation?

I'm having my breast augmentation in 3 days! I wanted a little advice about how bad stretch marks could get from 465 - 485 breast implants. I have never been over weight and my current size is 34B going to about 34D or 34DD. Should I be proactive and use something for stretch marks right now like a lotion or even Straight up Vitamin E oil?

Stretch marks post op

In my practice, Stretch Marks are rarely a result of breast augmentation. In the thousands I have done it is hare to remember but one or two that may have developed them. In some cases looking closely as the preoperative photos they were already there but just became transiently pink and more noticeable because of the normal increase of blood flow to the area after any surgery.
The things I can think of that may make you more prone to this is if you are on steroids, certain endocrine conditions such as Cushing's syndrome and others, associated with a larger weight gain and light colored skin.

Stretch marks

You don't mention your age, but the best predictor of future stretch marks is a history of them.  There is no real way to prevent stretch marks, but happily they are extremely uncommon after breast augmentation.  It has more to do with the quality of your skin than any products you may apply.

Earl E. Ferguson III, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Speak to your plastic surgeon, it is best

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. Sorry to learn about your concerns.

The best advice that I can give you is that you should speak to your plastic surgeon. I am unaware of any method to prevent stretch marks.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Breast Augmentation

Stretch marks after breast augmentation

Although I know of no method to prevent stretch marks, it is unlikely you will get them after breast augmentation.  Nonetheless, larger implants, such as the size you mentioned, would be a bit more likely to produce this.  Using a good moisturizer on your skin is an inexpensive and easy way to help.

Michael Leff, MD (retired)
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

You can not prevent stretch marks

It is possible to get stretch marks with large size implants. However you can not do anything to prevent those.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Breast augmentation

It is extremely rare to get stretch marks from a breast augmentation. However, like pregnancy the expansion of the tissue in a person who is genetically prone to stretch marks can result in them. Some women will use cocoa butter on their skin, which has some evidence of improving the elasticity. I think this is a reasonable thing to do for a few  weeks before and after surgery.Good luck  !

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks are unlikely

Thanks for your question. It's frankly uncommon to get stretch marks after an augmentation. Those who get them are usually genetically predisposed to them or simply got an implant that was too big and damaged the skin. Your implant size is above average but not "insanely big". Statistically you are at higher risk of implant malposition and asymmetry than developing stretch marks. Moisturizing lotion is good to apply to the skin to assure that it is hydrated but frankly won't prevent stretch marks. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Breast stretch mark prevention

Although it's not a definite that you will develop stretch marks after surgery, it's great that you'd like to be proactive just in case. Although your surgeon should carry a recommended skin care line within their practice, a good over the counter solution is vitamin E or cocoa butter to incorporate with your daily massges to the breasts as they "drop".

Stretch Marks After Breast Augmentation

Thanks for your question. It is rare for stretch marks to appear after a breast augmentation, but your provider probably carries a skin care line at the office that you can consider purchasing. It is helpful to keep the skin soft and nourished even after surgery.

German Newall, MD

Unfortunately stretch marks are not something that can be prevented.  It has to do with genetics and skin elasticity.  Also there is nothing out there that "prevents" them.  You can use lotions to help stay moisturized, but it will not stop them from happening.  It is not very common to see stretch marks after a breast augmentation, but they can happen and it has nothing to do with implant size.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon