Plastic Surgeon Vs Breast Surgeon for Explantation?

GP has recommended a breast specialist who seems to specialize in breast cancer. I am just having removal and no replacements nor lift at time of surgery. Is this surgery one that can be done by a breast surgeon and not a plastic surgeon? Implants are 37 years old and have just been diagnosed as having intra and extrovert capsular ruptures. Thank you.

Doctor Answers 15

PS vs breast surgeon

Go with the PS as they have way more experience with implant removal. General surgeons do mastectomies and lump removal but not implant related surgery. 

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

Breast Implant Explantation for Ruptured Implants - Pick a board certified plastic surgeon

By all means go to a plastic surgeon as they have the most experience with dealing with ruptured implants.
Here are some helpful hints in finding a competent and ethical plastic surgeon. Below would be my criteria for finding the Best Plastic Surgeon for your Bottomed -out Breast complications:
• Verify Board Certification by American Board of Plastic Surgery (do this online)
• Member of American Society of Plastic Surgery (requirements beyond Board Certification)
Member of American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (indicates extensive experience in aesthetic surgery - see below link)
• Look at online review sites - like RealSelf, Health Grades,RateMDs, Google, etc
• Look at Before and After photos
What is my instinct or "gut reaction" as to who I relate to better, answers my questions more fully and who I basically trust the most.
• Finally ask yourself - if I was to have a complication, who would be the best to take care of meSee the below link to help you 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 154 reviews

Plastic Surgeon or Breast Surgeon?

Your best bet is to go with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in breast surgery. Plastic surgeons have the most experience with all breast augmentation surgeries and complications. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

Plastic Surgeon

Please see a plastic surgeon because based on your description you will need more than just removal of your breast implants.  Most breast surgeons that are not plastic surgeons could not be familiar with performing capsulectomies.


Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Donna Rich MD

Donna Rich, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Plastic Surgeon Vs Breast Surgeon for Explantation?

       With the age of the implants and the ruptures, this should be done a plastic surgeon who does this all the time.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations and breast augmentation revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 492 reviews

Plastic surgeon for implant removal

I would recommend using a plastic surgeon to have your implants removed. Breast surgeons deal with removing the breast for cancer they do not place or remove implants on a regular basis.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Plastic Surgeon vs. Breast Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  I concur with the other opinions expressed here that a Plastic Surgeon would be the best choice for your explantation.  A breast surgeon performs biopsies, lumpectomies, and mastectomies.  Your particular problem would best be addressed by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced performing breast surgeries dealing with implants.  Best of luck to you.

Mark Deutsch, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Plastic surgeon should perform breast implant explantation

Thank you for your question.  A plastic surgeon Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery should perform your explant surgery.  Tracy Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Old ruptured silicone implants almost always necessitate capsulectomies

37 year old ruptured silicone implants always present technical challenges in removal.  Plastic surgeons have much greater experience in the unique aspects of implant explantation and capsulectomies.  General surgeons rarely have experience in this type of surgery.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Ruptured implants

Without a doubt a plastic surgeon. This is more complex since the implants are ruptured. Although you don't want any replacement of the implants or a lift you should see someone who can properly inform you about the implications of your decision. 

John Paletta, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.