What do I need to do in order to get rid of my round face? (Photo)

I have a round face, and as a male I don't like it as its not very masculine. I would like to know what do I need to do in order to get rid of my round face shape. Would a chin implant work or do I need other things done? In my photos I am about 10%-12% body fat.

What do I need to do in order to get rid of my round face?

Hi, based upon the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is some excess fat in front of the cheeks (elevated up onto the cheeks making them full and round) and chin is weak.   The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face:
  • Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face.  This would be combined with liposuction to reduce the excess facial fat to further define the cheek shape.
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.
A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.
Hope this helps.

Changing the Shape of the face

Changing the shape of the face could be operative with implants and bone reduction versus in-office with Botox to the masseters, which is a great procedure to slim the face and volumetric augmentation of the pre-jowl and chin area with Radiesse or Sculptra which are biostimulators. It would be nice to perform an in-office procedure first rather than move forward with a surgical correction.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Candidate for a chin implant

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Wanting a defined jawline

Dear dali202313, The profile photograph is not clear enough to show whether or not you require further projection on your chin with an implant. In most male patients who desire a more chiseled jawline and complain of a full face I recommend buccal fat pad removal, chin liposuction and chin augmentation. From the photographs it is unclear if this is the situation you are dealing with. To see an example of this procedure view the video above and other before and afters in the link below. If you would like to send other pictures to my website listed below I can offer further expert opinion. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Chin implant candidate

To make a decision about being at candidate for a chin implant requires a full set of facial pictures, demonstrated on our website link below.  Chin implants and the mandible, are both 3-dimensional structures, so full set of facial photographs are required to make a determination.  Chin implants are composed of Silastic, are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure.  For more information, , diagrams and many before and after results, please see the link and the video below