My nose is too big for my face. How I can have it reshaped, and do my piercings make me no longer applicable. (photos)

I have never been happy with my nose, and I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with it or what needs to be done to fix it. I have a nostril piercing and my septum pierced. Do I still qualify for rhinoplasty?

You qualify for rhinoplasty

Your nasal features can be improved with rhinoplasty. Piercing of nose does not disqualify you. See a trained plastic surgeon.

My nose is too big for my face. How I can have it reshaped, and do my piercings make me no longer applicable.

Hello sweetlittlewoman,Thanks for your question.  It would seem that you could benefit from a reduction rhinoplasty to reduce the dimensions of your nose to allow it to better fit your face.  You have a wide set of nasal bones and a wide tip/nasal base.  These areas can be altered with osteotomies (nasal bone repositioning) and tip reduction/alar base reduction procedures.Your piercing should be removed prior to surgery but having had a piercing of the septum doesn't disqualify your from having surgery.  I would recommend that you consult with an Ethnic rhinoplasty specialist in your area for more information.Good luck,Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Yes, certain techniques in rhinoplasty can give you a better profile and better definition to your nose.  Visit with some plastic surgeons so that they can go over your options.  Best wishes. 

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Yes you are a rhinoplasty candidate and the piercing may make it more complicated because cartilage needs to be harvested from your septum for tip refinement. Make sure to see a rhinoplasty specialist. Good luck. Best, Dr H

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from an alarplasty to reduce the width of your nasal base.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

What you want done is completely up to you.Rhinoplasty which typically starts at $5,500 depending on the area you live. To make sure you get the best possible result, the surgeon should perform a detailed exam of the nose and provide a realistic goal that you and your surgeon agree upon. Rhinoplasty are permanent, but with age facial features do change. Find a surgeon and go for a consult. Maybe try and see if the Dr can do photo imaging to show you what he or she can achieve.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Hello and thank you for your question.  There are many ways to perform a rhinoplasty.  You should find a board certified facial plastic surgeon and communicate with your surgeon what your goals are and what your expectations are.  The procedure can then be customized to your needs. Good luck!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic rhinoplasty

Good morning- thanks for your question! Based on your photos, you are definitely a candidate for rhinoplasty to help bring improved definition and balance to your nose and face. However, your ethnicity does pose specific challenges due to your skin thickness and cartilage strength. A consultation with a board certified rhinoplasty surgery that is well versed in the care of ethnic patients is of utmost importance. Increased refinement and definition can sacrifice your ethnicity, but with appropriate planning and discussion of realistic expectations this can be prevented. Schedule a consultation in person to discuss these factors and help covey all that you are looking to improve.
regarding your piercings - they don't preclude you from surgery but they will need to be removed and the surgery would likely prevent them from being replaced afterwards.

Christian L. Stallworth, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon