One month after tumescent on upper and lower abdomen, should I expect my results to get better? (Photos)

How do I tell what is swelling and what is fat that wasn't removed? I feel like I still look the same, can I expect my results to get better? I'm down a total of 4lbs but I still feel like I look the same

Liposuction - what is swelling, what is fat?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Everyone goes through this after liposuction -
  • You will look the same or worse because of swelling.
  • It takes at least six months to see your final result, 6 weeks to get a general idea.
  • So you have five more months of improvement - just give yourself time!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

One month post liposuction is still too early to determine your results. It doesn't appear that you had a large amount of fat to be removed before liposuction. With that being said, your results won't be dramatic. However, I do expect that you will better determine your results 6-9 months post liposuction.
Always address your concerns with your surgeon for in depth advice.Good luck!

Reza Rod, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Too early to judge outcome

It is too early to judge the outcome.  You may be doing too much.  If you exercise and the swelling gets worse, you need to give it more time to heal.  If you can do cardio with no additional swelling, then burn calories and be patient.  It will take at least 6 months to see the final results.

One month after tumescent on upper and lower abdomen, should I expect my results to get better?

How much lipoaspirate was emitted? But if you are 4 pounds down after 1 month try to lose another 10 pounds than you should see a difference!

Liposuction of the upper and lower abdomen

Take note that it takes about six months for the overlying skin to redrape to the new contour.  However, controlling the postop swelling through compression garments, lymphatic drainage massage, low-sodium diet, among others, is one way to accelerate the healing process and thus possibly help you see "most" of the results "sooner than usual."

I hope that helps and good luck.

One month post op

The quality of the result after liposuction depends on the amount and distribution of fat aspirated, the shape of your underlying musculoskeletal build, and the ability of your skin to retract.  Your body contour will mature over months, and it is way too premature to assess the results of surgery.  As my colleague has suggested, you likely will feel better controlling some of the swelling with compression garments, and you may want to consider lymphatic massage.  Your early weight loss is encouraging, so please try to be patient as the result evolves.  Best of luck with your continued recovery.  

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Tumescent Liposuction

Congratulations on your recent surgery! You are still early in the post op period and your body will continue to change for another 6-8 months. There is a lot of swelling with liposuction and you need that swelling to resolve to see your final results. Wearing compression girdles or garments can facilitate faster resolution of the swelling but time is the most important factor. Good luck!

Jennifer Boll, MD
Tempe Plastic Surgeon