Should I get Lip or Tummy Tuck? (photos)

I'm 45 yrs old w/2 kids. I'm considering getting explantation of my 20 yr old saline implants (chronic muscle pain/fibromayalgia like symptoms for 15 yrs) so even mildly intense exercise is restricted. The ps says I will not be happy with lipo and I should get an extended tummy tuck (plus lipo of the flanks). I had successful tumescent lipo (local anesth.) on upper/lower abs and upper/lower back 14 yrs ago before kids and I was 25 lbs lighter then. Can I get a good result with lipo alone?

Lipo versus Tummy Tuck

Your PS is right to recommend abdominoplasty. Liposuction only address fat while leaving your lax skin in place. Liposuction will only augment the skin deformities you have on your abdomen. Abdominoplasty will get rid of both fat and skin. In addition, with a tummy tuck you would also get a rectopexy, or muscle tightening, to flatten your stomach. If you go with liposuction alone you will be unhappy.

Rochester Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck would be a better choice

Based on the skin texture irregularities on your abdomen, you are not a good candidate for liposuction. A tummy tuck would be a better choice. I am not sure that liposuction of the flanks would be necessary, or would give you a good outcome.  Liposuction of the entire abdomen at the same time as tummy tuck would increase your risks of skin flap necrosis, seroma, hematoma, wound dehiscence and other serious complications.  The explantation with capsulectomy could be performed at the same time.

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction

Liposuction of the abdomen usually works best for younger women who have not had children. A tummy tuck most likely will give you the results you are looking for as in addition to tightening the muscles that have been stretched from childbirth, excess skin will be removed. If you have liposuction alone,  you will have even more loose skin. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Should I get Lip or Tummy Tuck?

Thank you for your question. If you have excess fat and skin tissue in any other parts of your body then different operations can be also performed in order to achieve a better result. Liposculpture, arm lift, neck lift, tight lift and Butt Reshaping surgeries can also be combined with Tummy Tuck operation.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Lipo or TT?

Reviewing your photos, I would unequivocally recommend TT. It is the operation which would address skin and fat issues. Lipo would  lend itself to contour improvement with an improved silhouette in clothing. Liposuction does not address skin laxity well enough. I discourage liposuction alone.

Lipo vs. Tummy Tuck

People who have especially slack skin in their midsection need more than what liposuction alone can offer. Typical candidates for a full tummy tuck are women with drooping abdomens after pregnancy, women and men who've lost a great deal of weight, menopausal women, or older people with loose skin due to age. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightened, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new position.

A mini-tummy tuck is especially effective for people who look pretty good from the navel up. The main difference between the 2 procedures is that the mini-tummy tuck doesn't require moving or reconstructing the navel and the incision is shorter than the one made in a full tummy tuck.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Lipo or a Tummy Tuck?

Greetings. Since you had kids and since there is a difference in the skin quality compared to 14 years ago, your best option would probably be a tummy tuck.  The overhanging skin would be removed and the muscle would tightened in the middle. Good luck!

Ravinder Jarial, DO

Lipo or tummy tuck?

Hello and thank you for your question. From the photo you sent I believe that what your surgeon suggested is most likely correct. A full tummy tuck with appropriate liposuction.  In my hands that is liposuction of the whole abdomen and flanks. Liposuction alone will definitely give improvement, but will not be as defining as the former.
Peter Fisher M.D. 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty

Hello, watching your photos; I can tell you that in your case an abdominoplasty (TT) is  the correct procedure to be done; additional lipo can be done too. you abdomen shows signs of skin flaccidity; other maneuvers have to be done to see if there is diastase of your rectus muscles.

Best of luck

Kemil Issa, MD