Implants x 5 yrs w/discharge. Is this something I should be seen about? If so, a Plastic Surgeon or family doctor?

I am 34 and received BA five years ago. Over the last year I have experienced intermittent bilateral nipple soreness, itching and milky discharge upon expression. They do not leak freely. There is no pain. My breasts are soft and moveable. The timing does not seem to correlate with my cycle. I have no history of glandular concerns. I am currently stressed but that is my normal state well before a year ago.

Doctor Answers 7

Nipple discharge

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am sorry this has stressed you out. Your best option is to discuss this with your primary care doc or OB/GYN. Let them work this up. Most likely it will turn out being nothing serious. This is unlikely from your implants. Good luck. 

Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Nipple discharge after BAM

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi myrauge

I would recommend seeing your plastic surgeon first.  It sounds like you are lactating very slightly.  Sometimes this just happens with implants for no good reason at all.  Sometimes this will occur when your body produces excess prolactin- a hormone that causes lactation.

Your doctor will decide if a blood test or perhaps mammogram or ultrasound is in order.

Try no to stress too much about this, but don't delay too long either.


Breast Changes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


I recommend that you first meet with your primary care physician to discuss breast changes. They may order imaging or blood work to evaluate hormonal changes which can contribute to changes like you are experiencing.

All the best

Breast implants will not cause breast tissue ailments five years after the procedure.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I was certainly check with your plastic surgeon to discuss the drainage of the breasts. It's highly likely the breast implants have anything to do with it. Nevertheless, plastic surgeons do know about other breast ailments and he may be able to assist you. Make sure you're not pregnant.

Milky discharge years after BA

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Milky discharge is usually not a significant medical concern.  That being said, you should probably consult with your OB/GYN and/or a breast surgeon (general surgeon that focuses on breast) to make sure and offer piece of mind.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Nipple discharge

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend starting with your family doctor.  It is likely that a mammogram and some basic labs will be ordered.  They can then make an appropriate referral based on the results of those studies.

Earl E. Ferguson III, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Changes in breasts

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Any changes in the breasts should be addressed.  I suggest starting with your primary care doctor or OB/Gyn for an exam.  Some testing may be ordered to better assess the situation, such as a mammogram or ultrasound.

Camille Cash, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.