I was wondering what was left inside of me after having liposuction? (photos)

A few weeks after having liposuction on my thighs I felt a long thin hard rod shaped figure inside of my thigh. I went to my doctor and he said it was calcified fat but I knew better. I eventually became fed up after having no help from him and pushed it out myself since it was near the surface and this is what I found. I know it's a foreign body that shouldn't of been left in me but I don't know what it is.

I was wondering what was left inside of me after having liposuction?

You would definitely need to ask your surgeon about this one, as this is not something I have encountered.

Foreign body

Thank you for posting photos along with your question. I must say....it is pretty impressive that you were able to get that out yourself! Although you have posted the photos it is still quite difficult to tell exactly what that object is. I do not perform laser lipo/smart lipo so I dont know if it could be a "laser fiber" as my colleagues have stated below. However, you should DEFINITELY let you plastic surgeon know about this ASAP! If it is something from the lipo system used then your plastic surgeon should also let the company know as well. I hope you are able to get some answers and if you do find out exactly what it is you should give us an update! Best of luck!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. I can not tell for sure but look like a laser fiber used in laser lipo or smart lipo. Please talk to your PS

Ven Erella, MD

After Liposuction

I can not tell for sure but did you have smart liposuction? That appears to look like part of the smart Lipo cable. I would let your physician and practice know and follow up. Best of Luck. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Foreign Body

Good morning,

Hard to tell what exactly this is. Did you have laser assisted liposuction? In any event I would show your surgeon and you should be able to get a definitive answer.

Best Wishes!

Kevin F. Ciresi, MD, FACS
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Foreign body

I would suggest taking this object to your surgeon and showing it to him. There is a couple of things it could be, but just from the one photo, I cannot tell.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon