I think my PS didn't do any lipo on my back even though he insists he did? (Photos)

I had lipo with bbl 5 weeks ago. I told the PS that I was a bit disappointed because he didn't do any lipo on my back and I wanted more volume on my butt. He insists he did but I had no bruising on my back and I can grab the fat on my back. He says that it is just loose skin but I feel a lot of fat. Can you please advise?

Liposuction - back wasn't treated

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• I understand your concern but your photo suggests you skin is loose and either there wasn't much fat to remove or else your surgeon removed it.
  • At 5 weeks, you are still swollen also - it will take 6 months to see your final result.
  • You are probably feeling swelling not fat at this point.
  • Your surgeon can only inject into your buttocks the fat that is available -
  • On average, if you had a 5 L liposuction, about 25-20% will be purified fat that is injected -
  • The volume you get will depend on the fat volume and whether the fat transfers survive -
  • About 30-70% of the injected fat survives so as swelling subsides, improvement can also.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction of the back

The back or back bra roll is Notorious for leaving patients feeling like they didn't get the results they wanted.

The main reason for this is skin laxity.

I have an expression I like to use. "skin laxity is the enemy of liposuction."

I say this because skin laxity often looks and feels like excess fat and since skin laxity it's not treated by liposuction patients often fail to see results since the primary or part of the problem was not treated.

The back has to have skin laxity when your arm is in the down position to allow for full range of motion of your shoulder.

Just like everyone's lower abdomen has a fold when we sit in the back desk and laxity when they are missed put in the down position.

Pinching skin it's also not the best way to assess how thick the front layers are in.

When you pinch skillet your recruiting skin and punching it together.

Remember when you're pinching it you're also feeling two layers of fat and two layers of skin all bunched together like layers of a sandwich.

The skin on the back it's also the thickest skin on the body.

Back skin can be well over a quarter inch thick.

The best way to assess how thick the fat layer is on the back or back bra roll Area is to take one arm and stretch it as much as you can over your body arching your back along with it.

I'm not sure if this makes sense without seeing a picture but trying to pull the skin is tight as you can on your back by stretching your arm up and curbing your back.

With your other hand reach over and gently push the skin against your ribs over your back.

This is the true thickness of your fat layer.

Bruising after liposuction quickly goes in the down direction with gravity.

Sometimes liposuction of the inner thighs can show as bruising below the knees.

The back often shows no bruising.

Any area that had liposuction should have at least mild tenderness though the back tends to not be particularly painful after liposuction.

Liposuction of the back can be difficult when patients are under General Anastasia unless they are turned on their side or facedown.

If you had a Brazilian with the procedure then most likely your body was turned face town at some point during your procedure.

I prefer to do liposuction with my patients awake avoiding general anesthesia.

This allows my patients to lay on their side with her arm stretched out giving me the best access for the best possible results of the back.

My practice is devoted exclusively to liposuction and fat transfer.

In my consultations I'll make a solid effort to lower expectations dramatically for back liposuction.

Sometimes I deliver results that are very impressive and beyond with patients expect but all too often patients still believe there is persistent fat on the back which turns out to be a skin laxity.

This is not to say that your plastic surgeon did or did not liposuction your back.

Perhaps it's not so much if he did or didn't but rather how much.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

I think my PS didn't do any lipo on my back even though he insists he did?

There may still be significant swelling that is masking the final result.  This is difficult to determine without an exam.

Too Soon To Tell--Add Venus Legacy, Cellutone, Exilis Ultra to improve results

It's still too soon to have your final results. I recommend adding coolsculpting/vanquish for further fat removal, exilis/venus legacy for skin tightening, cellutone/z wave to make the skin smooth, remove scar tissue, and improve the skin's appearance. If you want more contouring you may need a VASER HI DEF 4D body contouring treatment.  See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer