I don't like my profile. Especially when I smile. What are my options? (Photo)

I would like to just lessen the bump in my nose. Everything else seems fine to me.

Rhinoplasty to Reduce the Dorsal Hump

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear tjaimes, Rhinoplasty can be performed to help reduce the dorsal hump and bring a better balance to your profile. You have a slightly weak chin and may be a candidate for chin augmentation as well. I have included a link below of ethnic rhinoplasty procedures so that you can see how a natural looking rhinoplasty can be very rewarding in patients like yourself. The above video is of a patient with a similar nose and this will give you an idea of how rhinoplasty surgery can balance a patients facial aesthetics. Seek consultation with some experts in the field of rhinoplasty, review the surgeons before and after photographs and if the surgeon has digital imaging have this performed to show you the proposed results. This will ensure you and your surgeon are on the same page regarding your desired results. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

I don't like my profile. Especially when I smile. What are my options?

Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). If you live outside of the United States, the surgeon should ideally be a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Initial Rhinoplasty consultation

I think you are a great candidate for a rhinoplasty.  Lessening the dorsal hump would truly do a huge amount to your profile.  It would also minimize (NOT STOP) the derotation of your nose on smiling.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Profile

A rhinoplasty will improve your profile by removing the hump, raise the tip and prevent the tip from plunging down when you smile
You should strongly consider a chin implant since your chin very short, creating an imbalance to your face.

Dennis Barek, MD (retired)
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Limited Rhinoplasty to Improve Profile

You can limit your rhinoplasty surgery to removal of the hump and interruption of the depressor septi muscle to limit the hanging of your tip when you smile. Every rhinoplasty operation is individualized to meet the needs and goals of each patient. Also consider the placement of a small chin implant which will also improve your profile and balance in the lower 1/3rd of your face.

Excellent rhinoplasty candidate

You're a perfect candidate for a rhinoplasty. There is a dorsal hump (bump) that can be reduced. The nose can be shortened so the tip turns slightly upwards. The muscles that pull down your nasal tip during smiling can also be released. Texas has amazing rhinoplasty surgeons. Be selective and go for it. You're a beautiful young woman and a rhinoplasty will make an amazing difference for you and just move on in life! It's too short to not like your own profile!

Hump reduction

A hump reduction (known a bit more formally as a dorsal hump reduction) is a commonly requested rhinoplasty maneuver.  If the hump is the main area of concern, it may be possible to accomplish the procedure via a "closed" rhinoplasty approach (all the incisions within the nose). 

If you like, please follow the link below.  The article on Nasal Analysis contains useful diagrams that may help guide your decision making process.  Hope this helps.  Best wishes.  Dr. Shah.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving face profile with rhinoplasty surgery

Thank you for your question and photos.
Yes, you would benefit from reducing the dorsal hump, but I would also suggest improving the angle of your nose tip and adding a chin implant to improve your overall face dimensions. Look into it.

Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

I don't like my profile. What are my options?

Hi, I have performed many Rhinoplasty Surgeries over the past 30 years. From the photos, your nose has a large dorsal hump with a wide nasal tip. The chin is also quite weak.  Rhinoplasty can reduce the dorsal hump, thin and refine the bridge as well as the nasal tip.

From the photos, your chin is very weak creating an imbalance that makes the nose appear larger, the lower face short and the mid face appear top heavy.  Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found placing a silastic chin implant through a small, curved, incisions under the chin to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty that requires bone cuts with placement of screws and metal plates.

In addition creating a more heart-shaped face with cheek augmentation (using a dermal filler or cheek implants for a permanent enhancement) would feminize the entire face. Lip augmentation with a dermal filler will plump up the upper lip thereby softening the lower face.

Hope this helps.

Not happy with your nasal profile?

Thanks for your photos and question.  You have many options.  I would recommend you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area for a consultation.  Your options are going to depend on what concerns you most.  In your post you mention the bump, but in the question you mention your smile.  Both of these can be easily addressed.  When you go for a thorough consultation, your surgeon will describe what can be done and how those changes affect your overall profile.  You may also want to consider augmenting your chin as well to get balance of your profile.  Ask your surgeon about fat grafting to the chin area.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon