I have a one inch metal object in my thigh after tummy tuck/mommy makeover.

One inch metal object in my thighI am about 9 weeks post op from having a tummy tuck, breast lift and aug, liposuction of my flanks and my saddle bags. I just started feeling a hard object in my right thigh and when I hold it in my fingers, I can almost push it through my skin(but it's way too painful):-( My question is! How in the world did it get there? I'm thinking it was left in me accidentally and due to the pockets created from the liposuction and travelled to my thigh. What should I do???

Tummy tuck - can feel a foreign object under my skin

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• One can only guess what this object is and why it is there but it should not be there.
  • it needs to be identified and removed.
  • Please contact your surgeon immediately and have her/him arrange an x-ray of the entire surgical area and the object before s/he sees you.
  • If you need surgery to remove this with anesthesia, it must be done in an accredited surgery center.
  • If your surgeon is not a qualified plastic surgeon, please get a copy of your operative note and consult a plastic surgeon as well as your operating surgeon.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Unusual?

Thanks for bringing up this unusual situation. Your surgeon is the best person to address this issues. If it's metal as you suspect it should be visible on an x-ray. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Metal object in thigh

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear about your problem, it sounds rather unusual.  This really is not something that can be answered without and in-person exam.  Best to check with your surgeon and go from there.  Good luck. 

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing;  unfortunately, online consultants can only speculate as to what is going on. Follow up with your plastic surgeon who will be able to advise you accurately.   Best wishes.

I have a one inch metal object in my thigh after tummy tuck/mommy makeover

Only your surgeon can tell you what this foreign body is.

Call your surgeon ASAP and have it checked.

May require a surgical procedure to remove it and send to pathology. Pictures will help

Object in Thigh After Surgery

Dear annamm3,

There certainly should not be a foreign body left behind after the operations you had. If you can feel it that readily under the skin, I would go into a dark room with the brightest flashlight you have and see if you can trans-illuminate through the skin and see what it is. You will also need to get an x-ray in case it is metallic. Show this to your surgeon ASAP.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Foreign object

You need to contact your surgeon regarding this situation.  The object needs to be removed.  It is possible that an x-ray can be done prior to identify the object you are feeling.  I would not recommend manipulating it as you are unsure of what it is.

Camille Cash, MD

Object in thigh after surgery

Thanks for you question. I would recommend that you contact your surgeon immediately. He/she can then order imaging to figure out what the object is and how to remove it.

Best wishes!

Contact Your Plastic Surgeon Immediately!

If you have concerns about your #healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined. All surgical #procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Also, another element to a #satisfying result of your procedures are realistic #expectations.