I had Blepharoplasty (both eyes) and Ptosis repair (Third procedure) 7 days ago, and I am really nervous? (Photos)

My right eye had ptosis repair in the past (2003 and 2009), this year, I did both upper and lower Blepharoplasty and ptosis repair 7 days ago. My left eye is OK, but the right eyelid is swollen (the bumpy worm looking ) and swollen is not getting better at all. I read that it is caused by removing too much skin that is closer to eyelash, so the thin skin of around eyelash is gone, and (upper side of eyelid) is used to create the eyelid. If that is the case, the swelling will never be gone.

Lots of swelling after eyelid surgery.

This can happen from a variety of factors.  I advise my patients not to worry for the first few weeks unless the swelling is painful or if there is discharge and redness spreading into the cheeks.  I would advise warm compresses at this point, and be in touch with your surgeon.  Depending upon the exact procedures and how much your tissues oozed during the surgery, swelling can take weeks to months to completely resolve.  I'll put some of my patients on a short course of oral steroids at 1-2 weeks after surgery if needed.  The more surgery you had done the more it can swell.  Some surgeons hardly get any swelling, but they are doing very basic eyelid surgery, and not doing advanced techniques such as ptosis surgery, brow surgery, sculpting/repositioning of fat, scar revisions, orbicularis sculpting etc.  Be in touch with your surgeon who wants you to have the very best results possible.  See the link I provided for a patient of mine that had very asymmetric swelling and her final outstanding outcome.  Best regards.

Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling after blepharoplasty

While the swelling you have is a little more than average at one week, it is certainly not outside of the norm.  Cool compresses and elevation of your head at night will help.  This will most likely resolve without any issues, but ask your surgeon for an opinion as well.

Earl E. Ferguson III, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

It is far too early to know how this will go.

You need to let yourself heal.  It is completely normal to have one side more swollen than the other.  It may have absolutely no bearing on how you ultimately heal.  Please follow the directions of your surgeon.  Please repost in 6 to 8 weeks so we know how you did.

Eyelid swelling after surgery

Thank you for your question.  It is normal to have swelling one week after eyelid surgery.  It is also normal for the swelling to be more on one side versus the other.  Follow your doctors post-operative instructions and ask him about your concerns.  Swelling may take up to several weeks to completely resolve.   

Paul Nazemi, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Nervous about eyelid swelling after eyelid surgery

I understand that your nervous about the amount of swelling in your eyelids. It is very early to determine the results of the surgery at just 1 week. I would give it more time. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon