BBL or implants? Do implants have to be redone after 10 years? How long does it take to get used to them? (Photo)

I was told the fat transfer doesn't last and I don't have enough to really give me projection and roundness. I am 5'2" and 145lbs 33% body fat. One recommends the implant beneath the muscle, then lipo the for grafting over it. I'm worried it will feel abnormal to the touch. Does anyone have them? How long till you get used to them? What about shifting? Do i have to do it again in 10 years? One said implants arent necessary. Help!

BBL or implants? Do implants have to be redone after 10 years? How long does it take to get used to them?

As a plastic surgeon who performs both surgeries, I can tell you that you have enough fat to have a great result with the Brazilian buttlift. The results last if done by an expert.  If you would prefer an implant, that would be fine as well.  I always inform patients that the buttock implants do tend to have more complications with risks of infection, extrusion, and wound separation.

Buttock augmentation options

After now seeing at least one patient a week for buttock implants consult that failed BBL (done by another reputable surgeon) a year ago or so, I can comfortably vote for buttock implants. Keep reading:
Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere. There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation and Hip Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock/Hip Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak). Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection.
Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest. Another tip is that if you purposely gain weight (i.e. fat) for the procedure, the fat you lose first as you get back to your baseline weight is that very same fat that was transferred into your buttock...so don't fall victim to this recommendation. Although using your own fat is relatively safe, the one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred. This is even more likely to happen when using fillers like PMMA and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high tendency to migrate away from the original area they were placed and tend to stimulate a lot of inflammation and a subsequent disastrous amount of scar tissue/hardening.
Thus buttock/hip implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice). I prefer to insert the buttock implants through a 2 inch long incision over the tailbone (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks) and the hip implants through a ~ 1 inch incision just below the beltline above the hip region. The buttock implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle. In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle. Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure (in fact both implants and fat transfer so that s/he is not bias). And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to ~5%. Glad to help.
Depending upon the amount of your current fat reserves and their distribution, you may or may not be a reasonable candidate for fat transfer. If you are wanting to utilize the fat to further augment your buttock in addition to implants, then I caution you against this. The reason being that the fat needs to be placed into the buttock muscles for optimal survival, however, this is exactly where the implant needs to reside and thus risks infection and/or death of the fat. Because of this risk, I frequently avoid fat grafting into a buttock that has an implant. Bottom line, I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon specialist in buttock augmentation (BOTH implants and fat transfer) to determine what option is best for you. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Fat vs. implant

You appear to have more than enough fat for a good result with fat transfer. The success of this procedure is highly technique dependent. Done well, the majority of the transferred fat will survive and last. Done poorly, much/most of the fat will be lost. A well done BBL is a time intensive and technique dependent operation, not a quick "suck and inject".

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD