Genetically droopy brows, is this result possible using botox? (photos)

About a month ago, I got botox to try and lift the tails of my brows but I am not satisfied with the result. I got 4 units in each brow and while there has been a very small kinda unnoticeable lift, my goal is to have brows start and stop at the same level/height. I think I will go to a plastic surgeon or dermatologist rather than the medspa next time, but I'm curious to see if these results would be possible through botox alone. I'm 22 so I'd like to look into nonsurgical procedures 1st.

Botox to Raise the Eye Brows

It may be difficult to raise the brows as much as you have shown with Botox. However, there is no harm in trying this treatment. If not satisfied you can have a surgical brow lift which would be permanent. I've surgically raised the brows in many young people like yourself using the Irregular Trichophytic Incision Technique that we described many years ago.

Botox for Lateral Brow

This is a great question.  I looked at your pictures and I do see a difference.  Usually we place 4 units of Botox into the upper lateral brow, into a muscle called the obicularis occuli.  This prevents this part of that muscle from pulling the brow downward.  It might also help to get a small amount in the outside depressor muscle known as the corrugated supercilii.  I do agree that you should find a qualified surgeon or dermatologist to better assist you.

Jesse E. Smith, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

The anatomy behind your eyebrows, as well as the tightness of your young skin limits how much you can raise your eyebrows

Thank you for your question. You’re 22-years-old and you state you’d like to make the ends of your brows more leveled with the inner parts of your brows. You visited a medspa with the intention of having the droopy ends of your eyebrows lifted, which you had done with the help of four units of Botox in each brow. After the procedure, you noted some slight elevation but nothing more. You’re wondering if your goal can be achieved with a non-invasive approach first, but you’re also willing to consider seeing a plastic surgeon or dermatologist for your concern.

I can certainly offer you some guidance on this issue. To give you a little about my background — I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and a Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. Ever since Botox came out in 1993, I have been using it frequently in my practice. In fact, some of the first doctors to use Botox came from the field of oculofacial or oculoplastic surgery.

Before anything, please keep in mind that my opinion is based on photos that you submitted, and not a physical examination, so there is a limitation here that we need to be aware of. That said, I would like to help you understand that at 22-years-old, your eyebrows are technically not drooping. I think that this is an issue of anatomic structure — the structure of the bone, muscle, skin, and fat around the eyes and the eyebrow has a shape that is probably consistent with your genetics.

It’s also important to understand the limitations of interventions that can be done. I think that, whether you go to a med spa or a more established doctor, you may hit a limitation in terms of how much you can actually elevate the eyebrows. This is not just limited by the architecture and structure of the brows, but also the amount of skin. Since you are young, and there is not enough skin between the brow and the eyelid, I am quite confident that lifting the tail of the brow up to a level that’s horizontal cannot happen with an injectable.

In addition to this, when you think about the structure and the architecture of the bones and muscles around the eyes, you also have to think about the soft tissue and how it responds and relates to the raw genetics of this area. If you try to lift the eyebrow that high, think about the tension that would be pulling on the eyelid as well.
Now, as people age, they experience volume loss and the diminishing of soft tissue, which can cause the ends of the brows to droop. When it comes to facial aging changes like that, there are many procedures that can be done, from adding filler to the temporalis fascia, to brow lifts and other surgical lifting procedures. People with anatomic issues like this which are congenital may also benefit from these procedures.

In your case, however, I don’t think a surgical procedure would be successful, because at 22 years of age, you are actually limited by the benefits of being young and having everything in the right place. In my opinion as a facial aging specialist, is important to think about realistic possibilities and realistic outcomes, and you can certainly meet with other doctors to get additional opinions on that.

I’m sure that the medspa most likely explained the limitations of your desired procedure, and since Botox is a temporary treatment, it is possible that they did the procedure with the objective of letting you to see what the potential is. You saw minimal improvement, but chances are that you won’t see more of a significant improvement from anyone else.

I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Improving a droopy brow with botox

A droopy brow can be visibly improved with Botox. I would recommend injecting a bit more into the depressor muscles to improve the elevation. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Uneven Brows

It is possible to inject the brows and have them more symmetric.  It may give you enough of a lift that you would be happy with.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

BROW LIFT WITH BOTOX

With Botox a patient can get a brow lift, but it all depends on how strong and wide is the frontalis muscle and how strong is the orbicularis oculi muscle. The Botox can be injected in the orbicularis oculi to stop the pulling down action of this muscle, and in the frontalis, the physician has to evaluate if botox is necessary or not, and how much and where the Botox should be injected, other muscle like the corrugator and depressor supercilli muscle may need to be injected as well. Consider that some of the models in those posted photos, have make up and their original eyebrow has been removed, so that also makes a difference in the shape and position of the eyebrows.

Botox and Drooping Eyelids and Uneven Brows

Brows do not have a permanent result from botox.  I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist with experience.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Where should a patient go

you are very correct in finally going to a physician to get treatment. what you want is certainly possible but you are right you should see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist