Are my eyes still swollen or was I over injected with Juvederm for under eye hollows? (Photo)

I was injected with juvederm for under eye hollows, now I have bags. Was I over injected or am I still swollen? The procedure was 2 days ago.

At two days after Juvederm injections, it is likely that you are still swollen.

At two days after Juvederm injections, it is likely that you are still swollen. Swelling can persist for up to a week following Juvederm injections; if you still see eye bags after a week has passed, visit your injector again to see what options are available for you. Juvederm can be reversed with hyaluronidase if necessary. Either way, it's always good to notify your injector of any side effects you experience immediately.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Eye Swelling

Juvederm often swells in this area, it can be reversed with an enzyme hyaluronidase .  Best, Dr. Emer.

Swelling or too much filler after Juvederm to the tear trough

Tear trough injections with filler are a wonderful way to remove the "tired" or sunken look around the eyes.  However, these injections should only be carried out by expert injectors.  Too often, patients are injected too superficially making the filler visible or are injected with too much volume that creates swelling of the lids.  It appears to be injected too superficially; however, the area may still be swollen. A follow up for evaluation should be obtained in about a week.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Too early to tell

At just 2 days out from injections, you still have significant swelling - and it's too early to tell.  Re-evaluate the results in 10-14 days - that will be more accurate about whether you were over-injected or not.

Juvederm under eyes

At 2 days you probably still have some swelling.  However Juvederm can cause some chronic edema in some patients when used under the eyes.  If at 1-2 weeks you are still puffy you can have it removed.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm injection for tear trough

Thank you for your question regarding Juvederm injection for tear troughs under the eyes. The fullness you are experiencing could be secondary to swelling. If it persists after 1 - 2 weeks then I would consult about removing the product and replacing it in a deeper area.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Are my eyes still swollen or was I over injected with Juvederm for under eye hollows?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  At only 2 days after injection I think you are most likely seeing the results of swelling from the product as well as from the injections.  I would allow your results at least 2-4 weeks to mature before assessing your results.  In the meantime, the use of some cool compresses and head elevation would probably be of benefit.  

Juvederm for under eye hollows...

You are only 2 days from your injection, so give it a full 2 weeks for the product to settle and the swelling to subside before you take your next course of action, which will either be to be satisfied with the result or have it dissolved with hyaluronidase. 

I don't use Juvederm in the tear trough because I find that the product is too thick and it is very hydrophilic (attracts water), which means that it will swell beyond what I can account for (at least in my hands). I prefer to use Restylane or Belotero for tear trough fillers instead. 

I hope that you went to a trained core injector for your filler placement (facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or dermatologist).  

My web reference contains a video on how I perform tear trough injections as well as my typical results. 

I wish you well!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyes and Juvederm Injections

I much prefer Restylane or Belotero for the under eye area.  I don't use Juvederm under the eyes because I think it is too thick and causes too much swelling.  If it continues to be swollen you can return to have the product dissolved.  Best, Dr. Green