Extra skin in back area 6m post op tummy tuck/breast aug. What would you have done differently if I were your patient? (Photo)

What would you have done differently if I were your patient?

What you can do ?

Thank you very much for your question, information and picture. If I where you will not worry of nothing and seat with my surgeon explaining your serious concerned of the posterior dog ears; he most probably will address the problem properly and shuttle  a revision procedure to correct the problem. Some time we Plastic Surgeons are very concerned about the scars extension and minimized this. 

Good luke and be patient. 

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Extra Skin in Back Area 6 Months Post Op

It may be best to further discuss your #concern with your plastic surgeon. Your plastic surgeon may be able to provide the details of the surgical #techniques applied to your procedure. Typically, it's recommended to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a #revision and information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation. Another element to a #satisfying result of your procedures are realistic #expectations.

Tummy tuck vs belt lipectomy

Thank you for your question.  It appears from the photos that you had an extended tummy tuck.
In a second stage, either removing the standing cones (dog ears) as smaller procedure or lower back lift as a larger procedure can be an option at this point.  I would recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon who can spend time with you to explain the different options in more detail.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Dog ears and extra skin

Thanks for your question and photos. From what I can see on your photos, it appears that you have standing cones (dog ears) at the end of your incision.  I suspect your surgeon took his incision all the way to the table.  There is not much more that could be done at that time without extending the incision all the way around (a body lift, belt lipectomy, or circumferential tummy tuck).  You may benefit from a lower back lift to remove the excess skin along your lower back and the dog ears on the side.  Please follow up with your surgeon and see what they may be willing to offer. Good luck. 

Matthew H. Steele, MD
Sioux City Plastic Surgeon

Large dog ear after abdominoplasty is corrected by skin excision.

.From the photograph it looks as though you have what is referred to as a dog ear. This is gathering up of skin in an area of excess. It will require excision for correction

Take it to the table.

Take it to the table.  That's what we say when an abdominoplasty scar needs to be extended all the way to where the incision meets the table.  The only way to go further is to flip the patient over and do the entire back, which, based upon your last photo needs to be done.  That's a body lift, or so called belt lipectomy.  If you were in front of me, having a real consultation, that is 99% likely what I would recommend.  And it will look great!

Ritu Chopra, MD

Extra skin in back area 6m post op tummy tuck/breast aug. What would you have done differently if I were your patient?

More skin can be removed through a lower body lift type of procedure.

Tummy tuck scar revisions can be needed

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck result.

• Your photos suggest that you had an extensive operation and the surgeon had trouble tailoring the skin.
  • I can't say what I would have done differently - because I don't know what was done. 
  • At this point, ask your surgeon about a revision to remove the excess skin to give you a natural looking result.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

It looks like from your photos that your tummy tuck incision continues around to the back almost to the mid-line. Either your PS extended the tummy tuck incision as far as he/she could in order to incorporate the excess loose skin on your back or you had a more extensive procedure. From what I can see, it looks like you would have had the best cosmetic outcome from a circumferential body lift at the time of the tummy tuck.  

Erika Sato, MD, FACS

Posterior trunk lift

It appears from your photographs that you would benefit from a posterior trunk lift operation.  This would treat the excess skin on the back side of your trunk. 

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon