What to expect after a Tummy Tuck, I'm diabetic and have lost close to 100 pounds.

I am diabetic and have all of my doctor's behind me on this tummy tuck operation. I have lost close to 100 pounds and have extreme amount of skin left over. What should I expect as far as results? Are my pants going to have to be a smaller size? Will I look unappropriated?

Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment. Based on your description of your physical examination, it is likely that you will be very pleased with the changes seen after tummy tuck surgery. Select your plastic surgeon carefully and communicate your goals carefully as well. He/she will likely be able to demonstrate, through the use of previous patient photographs, what you will likely be able to expect. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Tummy tuck

Congratulations with you weight loss!  In general, patients are very happy after a tummy tuck because a lot of excess skin is removed and often the muscles are tightened.

Massive weight loss and tummy tucks

Congratulations on your weight loss.  This will undoubtedly improve your diabetes management!

Discuss in detail with your prospective board certified plastic surgeon the surgical plan, the risks, and your expectations, especially regarding the skin to be removed and the elasticity of the remaining skin.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Congratulations on the massive weight loss. I'm sure that has made your diabetes easier to manage. Diabetics have more risks in wound healing so it is important your Hgb a1C is at a good level before undertaking surgery. As to results, we really can't say much about that without an exam or photos. Best of luck.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

What to expect after a Tummy Tuck, I'm diabetic and have lost close to 100 pounds

Dear cmander

If you have lost a 100 pounds the improvement of your abdominal contour will be significant. Typically, you would have a smaller waist size and fit much more comfortably in clothing. Make sure your Diabetes is well controlled and you should have an excellent outcome.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Results

Surgery ought to improve your abdomen considerably.  Typically people look a lot better and not inappropriate.  That being said, your skin has been stretched out and won't behave elastically.  In other words, we can make you into a better version of you but cannot make you into something else.

As always, start with a consultation with a BCPS.

Good Luck!

Michael E. Decherd, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss.  If you are an appropriate candidate for a tummy tuck, this can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

The recommended BMI is less than 30. This is the recommendation of the American society of plastic surgery. The reason simply, is increased chance of complications. These include but limited to, pulmonary embolus, deep venous thrombosis, delayed wound healing and increase infection rate.

You can have the surgery done but with a medical clearance from your primary doctor.

there are different types of tummy tucks which one is right for me and how are they different from the other? Thereis a mini tummy tuck, tummy tuck and a vertical abdominoplasty. The appropriate procedure depends the amount and location of the excess skin. That's what your plastic surgeon will have to determine after the actual physical exam.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Tummy Tuck and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.