Compression garment too tight?

My PS gave me a compression garment 2 weeks after my TT. It's very tight and requires my husband's help getting on. It digs into my hips a bit. I want it to be tight enough to reduce swelling/create best results but I am afraid that if I wear it for an extended period of time it might change too much, like the corsets used to. Am I okay to wear heavy duty spanx?

Compression garment too tight?

I would recommend to complete 2 weeks with the binder and then to something softer. Please follow up with your doctor as these issues require the attention of a plastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Compression Garnment

In general surgical dressings and garments are not supposed to be painful.  
Check in your with surgeon's office for further advise.  Every surgeon has a different routine after surgery.  For my patients, heavy Spanx would suffice.

Khashayar Mohebali, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments

I would check with your plastic surgeon regarding garment fit.  The compression should be supportive, but it should not be painful to wear.  It is sometimes difficult to get garments to fit properly since every body is different, so a spanx type garment may work better.  Take both the compression garment and spanx in for your surgeon to evaluate which would be best for you.

Camille Cash, MD

Compression garment too tight.

Hello and thank you for your question.  Yes you can use spanx. I use these all the time as a stop gap. Please however check with your ps.
Peter Fisher M.D. 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments should feel good-- not bind or dig into you!

Hello! The compression garments should feel good, and not bind or dig into you. It really should be snug but from your description, your garment is just a bit too tight! Check with your plastic surgeon-- she may agree and want you to transition to spanx or another type of compression garment!

Good luck.

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment too tight?

You should check with your plastic surgeon to be sure what he or she would recommend, but for my patients who have troubles with the compression garment such as what you describe, I often allow them to switch to spanx.  While this would seem reasonable, again, make sure your check with your surgeon.  Best of luck with your recovery!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon