How often should I beed Botox?

I have been getting Botox every three months and it's expensive. I can no longer afford it this often. Is it possible to extend it to 4-6 months? I've been going to a medical spa instead of a dermatologist office because Botox is cheaper per unit there. I'm wondering if it would be more cost effective in the long run to go to a dermatologist office?

Botox longevity

With routine treatments, you'll notice that your results last longer. For this reason, you may be able to get it to 4-6 months, or even longer, with future treatments.

Botox

Most people need Botox every 3-4 months but every individual is different, some people see effects up to 6 months.

Ariel Ostad, MD

Botox and Longevity

Botox is a great injection to treat facial wrinkles.  Depending on the depth and amount of time that you have been receiving Botox I have many patients who now only need Botox every six months.  Some spas dilute the amount of Botox used in order to give a cheaper price but in the long run you are getting less for your money. For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in facial injections and Botox.

How often should I need Botox?

The effects from Botox will last 3-6 months. As muscle action gradually returns, the lines and wrinkles begin to reappear and need to be treated again. The lines and wrinkles often appear less severe with time because the muscles are being trained to relax. It also depends on how much your doctor dilutes the product, in this case you will need to have the injection more frequently.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

If you continue with regular Botox treatments your muscles may become weaker, which will require less Botox.

If you continue with regular Botox treatments your muscles may become weaker, which will require less Botox. One would hope Botox would be the same potency at each and every clinic. Unfortunately Botox will only last approx. 3 months.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Yes, Botox can be spaced out to 4-5 months if you need it to be spaced out.

Make sure that the Botox you are receiving is not over-diluted.  Sometimes, Medispas do this so that they can charge a cheaper price. Then, the Botox doesn't last as long.

Full strength Botox Cosmetic should last about 4 months if you go on a regular basis and don't miss; although it does wear off in some people in 3 months.

I would go to a plastic surgeon or dermatologists office, not a spa.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have these treatments.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Botox Longevity Variables: Units, Muscle Mass and Technique

Botox is a neuromodulator which is reliable with low risk. Botox needs to be injected accurately into the proper plane to have an exact effect. There is only localized diffusion of the agent so proper technique is required for efficient use of Botox. The longevity will depend on the number of units injected, but a standard amount will last about 3 months. This will vary on the number of units injected, the amount of muscle in the area injected and whether it was injected into the proper area.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Botox and Unit Costs

If you want the best injector and ultimately the best results I would suggest a board certified dermatologist.  I have patients where botox lasts 2 months and some where it lasts 9-12.  Most people require it every 3-4 months and it will not harm you to push out the time length if finances is an issue.  I wish you the best, Dr. Emer.

Botox use

Dear lisa.sa14:

Your best value will always be with a well experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Facial ENT or Dermatologist Injector. They have the training and experience to evaluate your muscles of facial expression and the dynamic / changing requirements of Botox as you need it.

Yes, there are other things you can do to "prolong" the Botox effect. Remember, that Botox relaxes the muscle(s) creating the skin folds of facial expression. As you age and there is greater sun damage, the folds create creases and the creases develop more permanent dermal lines which you are trying to prevent and rejuvenate. The following options will decrease the frequency of Botox use by increasing the resilience and collagen formation in the skin. 
  1. retinol / tretinoin; this is the least expensive home care skin therapy
  2. lasers
  3. fillers
  4. Sculptra
Consult with a specialist and you will get your best value.

All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Botox and frequency and where

For Botox or fillers it is best to go to the office of a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  In the end you will  likely save money.    Frequency of Botox varies with each person.    Generally every 4 to 6 months works just fine.  Try to stretch it out and save additional money.  Go see you local dermatologist or plastic surgeon.   My Best,  Dr C