Current bra worn is a 32c. Will 460cc, saline hp, under muscle put me in a 32DDD? I hope not.

Will 460cc, saline hp under muscle put me in a 32triple D cup? I'm floored as when I went to VS and was trying to get an idea of what I'd be post op, they told me that with that fill I'd be in that cup size. So not wanting a triple D, a D cup will be fine but not a triple D. Current bra worn by them is a 32c but that really is t filled out with my right boob and the left some what fills it out. Nervous.....,

Cup Size

It is impossible to know.  I usually feel that a HP implant chains things about 2 cup sizes, but everyone is different.  I am curious, why saline?  Most patients opt for silicone these days.

Good Luck!

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

What cup size?

I think they are right, you will go up at least three cup sizes with that implant.  Be sure to carefully address your desires and expectations with your plastic surgeon.

Cup size  after breast augmentation is impossible to accurately predict.  A very general  and not really reliable estimate  is that it takes 150-200 cc  to increase you by one cup size.

Implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.   The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

460 cc implant increase from C to DDD

my experience is that of all bra companies, VS is the most "grade inflated", meaning you would likely be a smaller cup size with a different brand. If you think about that, then really what matters is what you look like, not the number of D's in your bra cup. You need to be comfortable with the extra volume and how you look with sizers on and/or a virtual visualizer. In general (and this is a sweeping generalization, varying depending on your chest width and height) an implant of 460cc will probably get you 1.5-2cups bigger. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Cup size and choice of breast implants

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 DD  or DDD and a 38 DD or DDD are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer. There is also no direct correlation between an implant size or shape and resultant cup size.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Best Breast Implants for ME?

Thank you for the question. There is no accurate/reliable/predictable correlation between size/profile breast implant utilized and cup size achieved.  Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging)  as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast Im

I appreciate your question.

It depends on your chest wall measurements and existing breast tissue as implant size does not accurately correlate to a bra size.  It also depends on the brand and style of bra you wear as size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

What cup size will you be?

Remember that cc's DO NOT translate into a cup size. While you may be a DDD at VS, different bra manufacturers will size you differently. The goal of breast augmentation is to maximally fill your breast pocket, not to overstuff or understuff it. If you feel your operating surgeon has properly measured you to determine the best implant size for you, then you're set. If not, no harm in getting in person opinions from other plastic surgeons. Good luck!!

What cup size will you be?

This is difficult to answer with great accuracy as there is no standardization in the bra making industry.  No one can guarantee you a cup size because it depends on what kind of bras you make.  A rule of thumb to go by is that about 200 cc of implant volume roughly equals a cup size.  So 460 is about 2+ or 2.5 cup sizes.  That may put you in a DD bra.  There are other factors that will influence your cup size but that's a good place to start.  I'd recommend discussing your concerns with your surgeon and make sure both of you have clear communication on desired results and expected outcomes.  Best wishes!

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon