2 weeks post op. What is OK and what activities should I be avoiding.

I'm a mother of 2 and work part time as a hair dresser. I know I'm not supposed to be lifting anything over 10lb but, what about driving opening doors, cleaning dishes, performing haircuts, using my arms alot.

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Exercise

Thank you for your question. Most patients are cleared to perform lifting > 10 pounds 4 - 6 weeks following breast augmentation. You may return to walking and light lifting sooner, but would not perform any strenuous activity without clearance from your surgeon. It is best to have an in-person follow up examination for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing. Good luck with your recovery.

Post op instructions should come from your surgeon

Do not ask Dr. Realself or Dr Google for post op instructions. Ask your surgeon. None of us are familair with your particular surgery. None of us will be responsible for taking care of our complication if you do too much too soon. Call your surgeon and speak with the nurse.  Ask her your questions and explain your situation. That office knows YOU. That office has a vested interest in you healing well and beautifully.  Best of luck, regardless what your surgeon says, you are almost there.  Follow instructions and best of luck. 

Melinda Haws, MD

Post-Operative Care is Surgeon Specific.

Thank you for your question.  Since every surgeon has slightly different post-operative protocols and restrictions, I would highly recommend following up with your operating surgeon to discuss the specific post-operative care that he/she recommends.  With that said, I do request that my patients refrain from any exercising and/or heavy lifting for four weeks following their breast augmentation procedure.  Please follow up with your operating surgeon since they are most familiar with your specific case and I wish you an easy and seamless recovery!

2 weeks post breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your breast augmentation. Every surgeon is a little different so I would advise speaking with your surgeon regarding specifics with your post operative care.

Limitations

Thanks for your question. congratulations on your surgery. At this point you will probably find some motions and activities are not yet comfortable. It's unlikely that you will "mess anything up". Driving should be fine. Hair dressing can be hard because you likely will get swelling in your muscle. Your surgeon should be the one to give you restrictions. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

2 weeks post op. What is OK and what activities should I be avoiding

You didn't say what surgery you had, so it is difficult for me to give you advice. It is best to check in with your PS to make sure you are following their recommendations. We all do things a little different.

Activities

Hopefully all this has been fully discussed with you by your surgeon  - all these activities involve lifting your arms up high for prolonged periods so from 2-3 weeks you can do them but minimise them right up to 6 weeks - the golden rule is " if it does not feel right then stop doing it"

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

For my patients, I recommend no strenuous activity or heavy lifting for 6-8 weeks following surgery.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

I usually instruct my patient not to carry anything heavier than 15lbs for at least 2 full weeks and return gradually to regular activity level at 4 weeks.  

breast exercises are helpful in allowing the implant to settle into a more supple envelope. I think about 3 months of breast exercises are sufficient. The only contraindication to breast exercises is when textured anatomical implants are used.

Best of luck

What is OK 2 weeks postop?

Most of the activities that you have described should be fine, but there are several considerations.  First, you shouldn't be driving if you are still taking any sort of narcotic pain medicine.  Second, your plastic surgeon knows how your surgery was done including positional placement of the implant above or below the muscle and should really have final say on your activity.  Lastly, and from a common sense standpoint, listen to your body.  If something hurts or causes more swelling, that is your body's way of telling you that you're doing too much and need to back off a little.  Best of luck with your continued recovery!  

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon