What steps should I be taking if I want a breast reduction, and how soon can I realistically get one done?

I'm nineteen, 5'3, 150lbs, and have a breast size of 36H. I have always been unhappy with my breast size, but have only just made the decision to get a breast reduction due to the extreme discomfort they cause me physically and mentally. Ideally I'd like to have the procedure done over my summer break (so in 4-6 months), however I am not sure if that is possible. What is the process that I will be going through and about how long does it take?

Breast reduction

Recovery from a breast reduction is usually a week or two. Healing is 80% complete in 6 to 8 weeks. Scarstake as long as a year to heal completely (turn white) While weight loss will not resolve your problems it will make the surgery more predictable since the breast is made up of fat as well as breast gland. Good Luck.

Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

Thank you very much for your question.

The first step is to check with your insurance company to see if breast reduction is a covered benefit.  If so, the next step is to find a plastic surgeon in your area who takes your insurance.  Read reviews, check out websites, and talk with family/friends/doctors about which plastic surgeons you should have a consultation with.  At the consultation, your plastic surgeon will guide you through the rest of the process.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Breast reduction

Hello dear, the first thing you may need is to start looking fr a board certified plastic surgeon that you feel comfortable with, after that you can have a person evaluation with the PS and talk about your goals. Then you need to follow the instructions of your doctor and see if you are in good health to have your surgery done.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

The first step is to set up an appointment with an experienced Board Certified PS. Once you're examined, and measurements are taken-a Surgeon will outline a treatment plan that is right for you. For more info you can view this link:

What steps should I be taking if I want a breast reduction

Start searching for experienced plastic surgeons in your area who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery or American Society of Plastic Surgeons have online directories where you can find such surgeons.  Make a few appointments with different surgeons until you find the one you feel most comfortable with.  Your problem with large breasts is a very common one and is easily addressed with breast reduction.  Patients tend to be highly satisfied after this procedure.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast reduction at 19

Thanks for the question

Sorry to hear about your problems with large breasts.  It is very common, so don't feel alone or embarrassed. Hopefully you would be a candidate for an insurance covered breast reduction.  You will need to meet with a plastic surgeon so they can take measurements and photos and start the process with the insurance company.  They usually like to see that you have tried losing some weight and doing some physical therapy before they agree to cover the procedure.  

Hope this helps

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice,; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

What steps should I be taking if I want a breast reduction?

I am sorry to hear about the problems your disproportionately large breasts are causing both physically and mentally.  Your desire to undergo breast reduction surgery is certainly understandable; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

I think that your timing is perfect. Start seeking consultations now. Then, once you have (carefully) selected your plastic surgeon, you will be able to schedule surgery in the timeframe that you are considering.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.