Do you think 550cc would be too large on me? (Photo)

I'm 5'7 150lbs (extreamly athletic and muscular) I currently have 375cc in each breast (saline) that are ridged & dropped quite a bit. And look odd and circular. I'm looking to go 550 high profile -silicone- Do you think that will look over the top? I do want them bigger but I do not want to look like a stripper. Lol. This is me now. & this is what I am going for

Choosing the Right Implant Size

Here are some helpful guidelines.
Usually if a woman wears a size 36 AB bra and would like to be a C cup, which is the average size that women wear and the average size bra that is sold, she needs a volume of approximately 350 to 390 cc to make that change. This becomes less if she's wearing a 34 bra, because it has a smaller strap size and the cups have a smaller diameter. A smaller diameter implant would then be a volume of approximately 300 to 350 cc. In the same way if she was more petite, maybe a double zero or size one and wore a 32 AB bra, then to become a 32C cup she would only require about 250 to 300 cc. This is a general number, and of course there are other factors that will affect this.

Other factors which contribute to the outcome are size, shape, and profile.
The #profile is determined by the amount of #projection versus roundness that the you desire, as well as the #size of the implant and size of your chest. Also, the placement or incision location will also have an effect on profile. Another element to a satisfying result of your #augmentation is realistic #expectations.
Talk to your surgeon at greater length and be sure to view before and after pictures and reviews beforehand to gain more reassurance of the procedure.

Breast augmentation question

Hello and thank you for the question and the photos. Your photos show significant bottoming out. This is both a physics problem and a biologic problem. Gravity, exercise running etc.. all put downward pressure on the implants. Over time, this problem affects a small % of patients. The second factor is biologic. How your body heals, how strong your scar tissue and capsule form are factors that keep the implant where it was originally placed. Sometimes this is a genetic issue and sometimes it's environmental / dietary. A healthy high protein diet is a good idea both before and after surgery. 

My recommendation: 

1. I would suggest a switch to textured gel implants. Textured implants do not move as much as smooth. The risk of bottoming out is very low with textured. There are trade offs but in your case, it is the better option.

2. Capsulorraphy: tighten the excess capsule and make sure the upper capsule is loose enough to accommodate the implant in a higher position. 

3. You appear thin and athletic. Commonly there isn't enough soft tissue under the breast to hold it up. Second, make sure you use an under breast wrap to prevent downward migration. 

4. NO exercise especially impact exercises ( running, jogging, crossfit, etc... ) for at least 3 months after surgery. 

As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health conditions you have are managed by your primary care md.

Best to you.

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Do you think 550cc would be too large on me?

Thanks for the question and pictures. Based on your photographs, I would have concerns about your current breast implant positioning (inferior displacement or bottoming out). I think you will benefit from revisionary breast surgery which will likely involve capsulorraphy ( internal suture repair).  This procedure serves to reconstruct the lower poles of the breasts and prevent migration of the breast implants too far inferiorly.  Associated issues with positioning of nipple/areola complexes should improve with this operation. Make sure that the plastic surgeon who does this procedure for you can demonstrate significant experience with revisionary breast surgery.   

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation revision surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as "bigger” or "not like stripper” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to bottoming out surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

How much larger can I go?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Both your breasts have bottomed out - they lie too low on the chest.
  • Putting in larger implants will make the situation worse - they will settle lower still.
  • You need to discuss the plan again with your surgeon - 
  • If you were my patient, I would want either to repair the bottoming out and keep the implant size the same for now or I would repair the bottoming out, put in a somewhat larger implant and use ADM to reinforce it.
  • But these are theories - an examination and determining the reason of the bottoming out is essential before anything more is done.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS