Do you believe 500cc would be good for me? (Photo)

I am 5'10", 135lbs, not curvy. I have deflated mom breast. My measurement right is 12.5 and left is 13. I want boobs. Not too big but big enough to add side boob and clever

The right size breast implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are so many different styles,shapes and sizes of implants to chose from these days. The right implant for you depends mainly on your breast width as you have indicated. However skin type and quality/quantity of existing breast tissue all play a role in the selection of the implant that is going to meet your goals. 

An ultra high profile implant with a narrow base with and larger fill volume(500cc or more) will probably suit you. Your surgeon will give you a better idea of the options available to you. 

You should choose the size of your breast with the help of your Plastic Surgeon

In my practice I measure the base diameter of the woman's breast and then I can determine the largest size implant the woman can safely have. Then I have the patient choose the size that she likes by placing gel implants in a stretchy bra. I never tell the patient what size I like but encourage the patient to determine the right size for her under the limits of the base diameter. Make sure you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Best Breast Implants for ME?

Thank you for the question.  Based on your photograph, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best the online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "too big" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. Happy holidays!

500cc for a 5ft 10in patient

due to your height (taller than average) this is a good size for your body. You will carry this size well. Enjoy the implant.

Breast implant size is hard to pick

It is such an EXCITING moment when the decision to undergo breast implant surgery has been made, but now  some difficult decisions must be made.  Here are the 4 basic questions that need to be answered:

1. Type of implant (saline vs silicone)
  2. Incision choice (inframammary, peri-areolar, axillary, umbilical)
  3. Placement of implant; either above or below the muscle.
  4. Size of the implant

The most difficult decision is definitely the size selection.  A detailed consultation is necessary with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs breast enhancement procedures frequently.  This consultation will involve a history and physical examination, photographs, computer simulation, detailed measurements, looking at before and after photographs, trying on sizers and visiting with the surgeon and staff members.  

The final decision and a plan for the procedure will depend on the following:

•  The patient's desires and wish photographs
  • The surgeon's expertise
  • The breast "footprint" or the anatomy of the breast
  • Asymmetry
  • Loose skin
  • Scars
  • Cost
  • Down time
  • Implant warranty

This is an outpatient procedure with a quick recovery.  Either a local with sedation or a general anesthetic is utilized and Board Certified anesthesia personnel should always be present during the procedure.  The surgical facility should be nationally accredited and state licensed, anything less is not be acceptable.  Your surgeon should be Board Certified by Plastic Surgery, not an eye doctor, dentist, oral surgeon, OB/GYN, or dermatologist.  The best possible result can be assured by physicians educated, trained and certified by the most vigorous standards.

I have always said if you want 10 different opinions, than ask 10 different plastic surgeons!  So, if you consult with more than one surgeon, you will probably get different opinions. There is no one correct answer.  I encourage 2nd and even 3rd opinions to find the one surgeon who suits you best, listens to your wants and needs and you feel most comfortable with.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Do you believe 500cc would be good for me?

Based on the measurement of your breast base width Proper implants are more likely in a 350 cc size range.  The 500 cc implants are quite large and if you are determine to have that size then narrower high profile or alter high profile implants may be necessary.  Try the Rice test at home which is described in the link below:

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph. Unfortunately there is no way to correlate a particular implant cc size with what works best with a patient as much depends on the desired goal look you are hoping to obtain.  Implant selection is difficult because there are so many choices and it is important that you communicate well with your surgeon in order to maximize your result.  One way to test 500cc would be to either try on sizers in your surgeon's office or create implant sizers at home with rice.  Hope this helps..

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

The interpretation of "natural looking" and what looks best varies greatly from patient to patient and from surgeon to surgeon.  Based on your photos, you should achieve a very nice cosmetic result with a breast augmentation.  The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing suit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

What's the right size for me?

I appreciate your question

After performing hundreds of breast augmentations, I have found that the size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision. Bringing photos as well can help us to finalize, but please understand that these are of other peoples bodies and your results will probably be different.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more softer silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it may leak but only into the scar capsule formed. However, the newer silicone in these implants may not leak even when the implant shell is ruptured. 

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you a more natural look. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. I also use a 3D imaging system to allow you to try on a variety of shapes and sizes. I prefer this method over adding volume due to implants being under the muscle.

We will also discuss the possibility of needing a lift along with an implant. This will depend on the amount of ptosis (nipple position) as it relates to your breast, inframammary crease and chest wall. Needing a lift or not will also determine where to place the scar for the incision.  In some cases if the the breast and nipple is really ptotic (low) it might be best to stage the procedure by performing a lift first and then doing an implant at a second stage. This will also allow you to have a better understanding of the true size and shape of your breast.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon