What is the best procedure to correct breast asymmetry and ptosis?

One of my breasts is about twice the size of the other. Both breasts are flattened from nursing and age (mid-40s). what is the best, easiest, and most cost effective way to achieve symmetry and natural looking breasts?

There are a number of options which could be considered to correct breast asymmetry and ptosis.  These can include a unilateral breast lift/reduction with or with breast implants of same or differing sizes and shapes.  To determine which option would be the most cost effective and natural looking in your case would require a physical exam.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive breast surgery experience.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Without pictures, difficult to comment.  Sounds like you may be a candidate for a breast lift/reduction and possible augmentation to correct the asymmetry.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Correcting Asymmetric Breasts with Implant and Lift

I see young women that come to the office, and the two breasts are very asymmetric. One breast is lower than the other. There may be differences in size. Or there are certain conditions such as #tuberous breast deformity, where the breast has a more unusual shape. It may be very narrow at the base on the chest. The whole breast can be very narrow. There are different variations but basically, this is a growth and development problem that creates a great deal  of angst for a young woman.

Breasts are often asymmetric. They can be lifted differently.  One side can be reduced or the breasts can have different size implants or different amounts of fat added to improve symmetry.  If you have significant asymmetry and tuberous breast I will still perform  the #breastlift and i#breastmplant in one stage. I have about a 15% need for revision or secondary surgery but that is a better option then subjecting 100% of my patients to two stages as some surgeons prefer.

Asymmetry Correction

Thank you for your question. There is no one procedure best for every situation. I would recommend that you meet with a board certified Plastic Surgeon in person to be examined, measured and discuss what you would like to change. You may be considering a combination of breast lift and implants, different sizes and types.

All the best 

The it's impossible to answer without knowing your goals or seeing your photos. It's important to know what your goal breast size is. You may benefit from an augmentation of the smaller breast, or a reduction of the larger breast. Consider reposting your question with photos and a good description of the breast size that you hope to achieve. 

Best procedure to correct breast asymmetry and ptosis

The answer to your question depends on how much ptosis there is and what kind of asymmetry you have as there are just so many different options and variations for what we can, and based on what your goals are as well.  You basically have the option of a breast lift, or a breast implant or both, as well as a breast reduction (and even fat transfers).  Sometimes we have to do a combination of these procedures to achieve the best symmetry and help you achieve your desired look.  They are all entirely different procedures.  A face to face consultation and physical examination would be the only way anyone can advise you what you would need.  I would recommend that you see several board certified plastic surgeons with lots of experience treating this condition.  Best wishes.

Correcting Breast Asymmetry

Hi there, great question & one I hear often.  We are all asymmetric from our heads down to our toes, so it is very normal and expected.  However, when the breasts are significantly asymmetric we can definitely make some changes to improve the appearance.  A breast lift +/- small volume reduction on the larger of the breasts can typically create better symmetry.  The flattening you describe may not be improved with a lift alone though.  Depending on the amount of tissue you have and what your desires are, placing an implant at the time of the lift can create more fullness throughout the breasts.  Please find a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.  Good luck!

Sincerely,

Dr. Michelle Spring

Procedure to correct breast asymmetry

Thank you for your question. Without pictures it is very difficult to give you suggestions as to how to correct your breast asymmetry. Most women have some degree of asymmetry which can be very mild to severe cases such as a tuberous breast deformity. In your case you have one that is 2 sizes larger than the other and you have lost volume after breastfeeding. Your best option may be a breast reduction on the larger side, a lift on the smaller size and a bilateral breast augmentation. This will help correct the asymmetry, lift your nipple position, give you better upper pole fullness and overall give you more aesthetically pleasing breasts. You should remember that even post-operatively you will have some degree of asymmetry, but you should be significantly better. Find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a consultation to determine what option is best for you and your desired outcomes. Good luck.

Breast Asymmetry

No photos and no in-person exam makes any on line advice almost useless. Based on your description though, you would likely need an asymmetric reduction/breast lift with or without implants.  Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in all forms of cosmetic breast surgery, not just implants.  Your situation is not amenable to just implants alone. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

The term breast asymmetry is a very generalized term meaning the breasts are in some way different. There are a myriad of possible differences and multiple techniques and combinations of techniques to correct the problem. Without an exam or at the very least good photos there is no way to narrow all these possibilities down to give you a specific answer. You will most likely need some combination of lift, reduction and augmentation. See an experienced surgeon as these methods can be quite complex. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD