Is this pain normal? (Photo)

I had a breast augmentation one week ago today, 500cc- inframmamory incision. I have not been taking the prescribed pain medicine the past few days because they make me very sick to my stomach. I am having a lot of pain near my armpits and on the sides of my chest. I have a small bruise on my right breast near my incision, but that is not the area that hurts me. I see no obvious swelling or size difference between the two breasts. Is this just normal pain? I'm worried I may have overworked myself.

Post op breast augment pain

Hi - it is not unusual to have some mild discomfort at this point. Breast implants stretch the skin and breast tissue which can cause pain. I usually review my patients at one week after surgery to check all is ok. If you continue to have pain you should return to your surgeon for a review 

Is pain during recovery "normal"?

It is normal to experience some discomfort or pain during the first weeks following breast augmentation. The degree women experience can vary quite a bit, as pain tolerances are quite different for individuals. And, it is not unusual for some to experience nausea from pain medications typically prescribed following breast augmentation. A call to your surgeon's office can help alleviate anxiety you have about what is "normal", and can look at finding alternative medications which can help with pain. A follow up visit with your doctor would be needed to tell for sure if there are any concerns about the pain and/or healing.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Pain one week after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photo.  A common side effect of pain medications is nausea/vomitting.   I give my patients anti-nausea medications if needed, or you can try over the counter advil or aleve .   The pain you describe is common after this surgery.  The swelling will subside as well as the pain, in the next few weeks. 

Chad Robbins, MD

Post Breast Augmentation Discomfort

#Healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Your doctor may require you to move or #massage the #implants within the breast pockets during the postoperative period. Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit.
If my patients have concerns that their healing or pain are unusual, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined.