I had a breast lift & augmentation w/ 339 cc silicone implants; experiencing burning sensation/pain/extreme sensitivity. Advice?

I had a breast lift and augmentation with 339 cc silicone implants on 8-20/15; The usual soreness and tightness subsided, but as of last Monday, I began experiencing a burning sensation/pain/extreme sensitivity in the left breast, especially when I lie down. It it so uncomfortable it is waking me from sleep. I was my DR. and he advised this was normal and to take OTC pain meds. Just wondering about how long this burning could last, and why it mainly occurs when I lie down. Nipple is sensitive to clothing.

Pain after breast augmentation

Hi slbarkley,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, I am sorry to learn about your pain. It seems like you are having some nerve pain and maybe some muscle spasm. Sometimes after the surgery the patient does not move around a lot and things start to get tight and stiff. When this happens, there can be some aches. So really work on moving around, lifting your arms up and move the arms around. As for the positional pain, it could be nerve related and when the breast implants slides and hits the nerve it can cause a shooting pain towards your breast or even into your back. So do not worry, all of these pains will go away. If you feel something is wrong, you should absolutely call your PS.

I hope you found this helpful. Have a great day.

Breast augmentation post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

In my practice, after performing a breast augmentation I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
In the other hand Nipples sensitivity after Breast Augmentation may be temporarily affected (increased or decreased) due to surgical manipulation of the mammary tissue and breast swelling.
This is transient and usually after a few days the sensitivity returns to normal.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast lift/aug.

Thank you for your question.  At this point in your recovery, the sensations you are experiencing are not uncommon.  If over the next few months the sensations do not subside, then I recommend you be seen by your operating surgeon.  

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Hypersensitivity

These sensations can be common and typically improve with time. Time is your friend, follow your Plastic Surgeons post-op care instructions carefully and completely
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

I will take 12-16 weeks for sensitivity to settle

Your symptoms are within normal range for your surgery.  It can take variable time for it to settle.  Usually these issues settle in 3-4 months.  Occasionaly it can take longer.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Burning in Nipples

Hypersensitivity in the nipple is not uncommon after breast implants. The theory is that after the nerves are stretched by the implant they may be injured and not able to provide the normal sensations of touch. When the sympathetic nerves recover first, you may experience a normal sensation as burning. We have our patients do what I call cortical reeducation. We have them rub the nipple area at first gently with a smooth cloth such as a hankerchief for a week 3 times a day for 5 minutes each. The following week advance to a washcloth. The next week to tericloth. This is similar treatment to that of reflex sympathetic dystrophy seen after finger injuries. Here the treatment is stimulation of sensation by placing the finger into rice granules. The increasing texture of the material use for the rubbing provides a similar effect as the rice. Hope this helps. Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Hypersensitivity

Although I agree with your surgeon's advice, since it seems to be interfering with sleep and with other activities, ask about a trial of using a local anesthetic.  Lidoderm is easy to use, comes as a stick on patch. 4 and 5% creams are also available, though are a bit more messy. 

Duration is unique for each patient, but these symptoms almost always are self-limited, and resolve without needing treatment.

All the best. 

Burning/sensitive

Thank you for your question. Nipple hypersensitivity can occur temporarily post op as well as temporary numbness. I would expect this to subside over the next few months.

The burning pain you feel and increased pain when laying down could be related to the suture tension deep inside your incisions and nerve damage which will slowly be repairing itself over the next few months.

If your Plastic Surgeon has examined you in person and everything looks fine, hang in there, take the recommended pain medication and make your surgeon aware of any concerning changes.

All the best