Will UHP implants leave me with a big gap and too fake looking breast? (Photo)

Hi- my PS suggested UHP allergan 280cc or up to 350cc mentor. I'm at 9cm BWD. 98Lbs and 5ft. tall. Will the UHP get me a bit close to what I want(pic)? I'm worried that I will end up with a huge gap n pointy breasts. I was considering under the muscle 320cc 9.8d/5.1p or 280cc 10d/4.8p. I want to avoid looking looking like The last pic.

Implant selection is based in numerous factors including base width, tissue coverage , and patient preference. I would avoid the UHP implant as the ratio of width to projection is extreme, and in my opinion would lead to an unnatural result. The width of the UHP implant is narrow and may exaggerate the gap between the breasts. 

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Sizing

If your doctor made that recommendation based solely on your breast width, you should visit a few more doctors that understand the concept of tissue based implant selection. UHP implants tend to look ball-shaped and unnatural, especially when they are forced too tightly into a relatively small soft tissue envelope (your breasts). Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in breast surgery. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Will UHP implants leave me with a big gap and too fake looking breast?

I would personally recommend against ultra high-profile implants for virtually any patient.  From your photograph it appears that you have excellent natural anatomy and a partial subpectoral mid-profile or mid-plus profile implant should give you a very nice result as long as you avoid size extremes.  Patients become too confused by dimensional measurements which should be the responsibility of the plastic surgeon.  In my practice I make a final selection of the implants based on the actual appearance of the patient's breast during surgery when test implants or sizers are positioned.  In my opinion you select a specific board-certified plastic surgeon to express your goals and trust their best judgment in being able to achieve them.  Good luck and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast implant considerations for patients with normal breast anatomy

Your breast implant volumes seem reasonable - I would recommend considering standard profile implants - they will create some 'cleavage' for you and generally look better in most patients.

Will UHP implants leave me with a big gap and too fake looking breas

as ultra-high profile implants, by definition, already look unnatural, I believe in your case that placing  them under the muscle with that profile implant will leave you pretty close to the photo you do not like.

Julio Garcia, MD

Will UHP implants leave me with a big gap and too fake looking breast

Without examining you we cannot answer that question. Put a mark on your chest to each side of one breast indicating how wide you want the final result, then measure that in centimeters (your surgeon should have already done that) and find an implant that wide. It is a mistake to plan based on the width of your breast, which you already think is too small. The width needs to be that of the new breast.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for your question.  As others have noted have excellent breast anatomy and cleavage preop which indicates that she should be able to achieve an excellent result following rest implant surgery.  The ultra high profile breast implants are narrow and will project the breast forward more than lower profile breast implants.  To understand more about implant profile please review the link below:

The gap is the result of your anatomy, and you appear to have a rather narrow gap naturally. the is not a big difference between the two sizes you have selected. I would suggest going back to your surgeon and trying on sizes again. Your surgeon can help guide you ton the best size for your frame and tissue.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

The profile you choose will not impact your cleavage.

Based on your photos, it appears that your cleavage will be good postop - not too wide.  That is a fortunate situation that is the result of your anatomy, not the profile of the implant you chose.  Of course, it is necessary to make sure to select an implant that closely matches the width of your breast.  That way it will fill in all the way to the middle where it is needed.

When considering the effect of the implant profile on your final breast shape, I tell patients the following:

Low profile implants are wide, without as much projection relative to their width (think pancake).  They will               give you volume without as much proportional increase in projection.

High/Ultra High Profile implants are tall, relative to their width (think soup can).  These will give you                          maximum projection and volume increase without extending out into your armpit as much.

Moderate/Moderate Plus profile implants are in between the last two profiles.  For most patient's needs, they           tend to be ideal; a nice balance between width and projection.

Of course, all of these implants were are describing are primarily available in a round device.  The shaped devices do have some similar characteristics, but the dimensions are trickier to describe and understand.

As always, if you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in breast augmentation, I'd always suggest that you check and make sure that they are a member of their local plastic surgery society.  Here in Utah, that is the Utah Plastic Surgery Society.  You can check our roster on the website.  By going to a member of our state society, you are ensuring that you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon, not a board certified pediatrician or orthopedic surgeon, and that they have met very rigid ethical guidelines necessary for membership.  Not every plastic surgeon qualifies for membership.  

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  Also, based on your anatomic starting point, assuming skillful execution of breast pocket and careful selection of breast implant, you should not end up with too much space between your breasts.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

***Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery'

Some general thoughts regarding "cleavage concerns" may be helpful to you and other young ladies considering breast surgery:

Patients undergoing breast augmentation should understand that their anatomical “starting point” will play a significant "role" in the outcome that they can expect with breast augmentation surgery.   If the patient starts out with a significant distance between the breasts, there are limits as to how close of "cleavage" can be achieved.  If over dissection (when developing breast implant pocket) occurs in the cleavage area, with the goal being to achieve as close as possible cleavage per patient's request, patients may experience significant problems such as breast implant displacement (medial  malposition or symmastia) and/or significant breast implant rippling/palpability.  Obviously, these types of problems may require revisionary breast surgery to correct.  

Also, keep in mind, that each nipple/areola complex must remain centered on each breast mound after surgery.  Again, careful dissection of the breast implant pocket and appropriate selection of breast implant size/width/profile will also play a role when it comes to how close the cleavage area will be postoperatively (and the overall shape/symmetry of the breasts). Careful measurement/dimensional planning plays a big role in this regard.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "fake look" or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long term.