How many syringes of augmentation would a large (5mm) permalip implant, top and bottom, equate to?

I understand that this is a patient by patient basis. I currently use 2 full syringes of juvederm ultra plus in my lips now. I am considering permalip implants but I wondering if the large permalip implant, top and bottom, would be enough augmentation. Would this be about 2 syringes(or how many) or so of filler?

Effect of lip implants compared to fillers

Thank you for asking about your Permalip implants.

• A large (5 mm) permalip implant is probably closer to a half a syringe.
  • The lip does not tolerate large, permanent implants 
  • You might consider having lip implants and then, once healing, having fillers as needed for more fullness.
  • But to know if this is reasonable, take a photo of the look you like when you have fillers - and have a consultation with a plastic surgeon to see how close lip implants will get you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hello jesscoccaro - Thanks for your question. A 5mm implant is probably not going to give you the volume of 2 syringes of Juvederm Ultra Plus. That is quite a bit for filler for lip augmentation, so I imagine you are really looking to plump up your lips. If you end up using the lip implants, you may still need to add a small amount of filler yearly. There are a few doctors that use injectable silicone in the lips which is permanent, but the risk of this is quite high and when things go wrong, they go terribly wrong. Fat grafting to the lips is another option if you have some donor fat to use. I hope this helps. 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon